In Sump Skimmer Venturi

twiddybr

So, I may be over thinking this, but I am in the middle of building a manifold off of my return pump. I would like to feed my skimmer with the pump, but I am having a hard time figuring out how I will get air into the skimmer. Is it as simple as drilling a hole in the skimmer and running an aqua lifter pump in there? Or could I install a venturi "T" into the 1 inch piping above the water before it goes into the skimmer?

This is an old Reef Octopus Skimmer with a 1 inch Uniseal on it. It's old, but still works great. Problem is that the Pump + Skimmer takes up a ton of room.

Thanks

Its one thing to pull air in with a venturi.. Its another to create fine microbubbles to have an efficient skimmer...
A skimmer pump will have a needlewheel to chop up that air to create the fine bubbles..
Or you could utilize an air stone to create your finer bubbles..

Yes. That was my other thought that I failed to mention before. I think that may end up being what I do. Thanks.

Just be sure to get an actual venturi, not just a pipe with a tap for an air line.

The downside is making a venturi work requires a LOT of flow and pressure so make sure your pump can handle it. And as said you wont get as many fine bubbles as with a needle wheel pump but as long as it makes a good bubble column it will work. Might not work at 100% but it will do the job.

I have the skimmer for my QT setup like that but with an air pump for a bit more bubbles, it works great.

Back