Introducing new fish to clownfish pair

HeadstrongRSS

Hey everyone, I need a little bit of advice. First off, I have a 36 gallon bowfront aquarium, currently stocked with live rock, two osc clownfish that are about an inch or an inch and a half long, and 6 regarding legged hermits.

I initially stocked this over a month ago. I'm looking to add a new fish or two, but am concerned that the clowns who aren't yet adult size may have established their territory in the middle of the tank. They hang in the middle, but sleep in the front right corner.

I know I want a blenny of some sort, but does anyone have any suggestions on a species that won't be intimidated by the clowns, and any tips to introduce them?

I've read a lot that it's good to introduce during darkness, after a good feeding, and after I rearrange the tank so that it distracts them. Any other tips to help or suggestions?

As for type, LFS said Coral Beauty, but 36g seems on the edge there...I want it, but seems to need more space. Am I right, there? Will a hawkish fight with a blenny? Seems they both perch...

Should I be trying to build a few different many territories in the tank? Or build something big in the middle? I have no live plants, but a bunch of rocky structure. And do I need to hurry due to the apparent aggressiveness of older clowns?

Firefish may work because of their body shape they usually do not get picked on by clowns. A flasher wrasse will usually find an area of the tank safe from the clowns. I see trouble with adding a Coral Beauty, the tank is too small and things will get nasty (poor advice from your LFS).

Yeah, I figured. That's why I'm doing due diligence here and on the net. This is a more knowledgeable resource for sure. I may just do a blenny and let all grow...

Oddly enough, it ended up being the midas blenny that is the *****. He runs the tank for sure...comes out and hovers above them to show dominance, occasionally goes at them for a bit. Little punk. I barely see my clowns anymore.

I think I'm going to upgrade to a 75g. 36 just isn't enough.

My clowns accept every fish I put in the tank and are very docile. Never had any issues with them picking on fish only fish picking on them.

My clowns accept every fish I put in the tank and are very docile. Never had any issues with them picking on fish only fish picking on them.

You're in luck then. I was actually surprised the rep they get, though they're one of the more peaceful damsels, still a damsel. I'm pretty sure they attacked and killed two blue-green chromis when I got them, then they had the place to themselves. As a side note, unprompted, I was at my LFS and they were cleaning tanks...I asked them which of all the fish have attacked you while cleaning? The answer from the 3 working there: clowns. Only the clowns. If I stick my hand or whatever around "their" spot, they have no hesitation to try to take whatever it is, down.

Regardless, they're dominated by the Midas.

My 0.02 - I added a carpenters flasher wrasse to my 40B with 2 clowns. They got along right off the bat, which was weird for me. The wrasse even swam right over to the clown's territory and they never reacted.

A Blenny would probably be fine since it's normally at the bottom of the tank

I have a lawnmower blenny and a pair of clowns. My lawnmower blenny is a scaredy fish all on his own, I have to look really hard to find him. All he does is hide but I have never seen the pair of clowns anywhere near him so I don't know if they intimidated him or not. I added all three at the same time.

A royal gramma should be able to hold his own with your clowns. They are just an awesome fish anyways great color and personality.

Back