Is this a zoo?

chrisyew

Having asked around on the following photos of mine, some said it's zoo but some said it's Anemonia sp.

After examining it for sometime with lights on and off, I think it's kind of zoo. Hope fellow reefers here can help, thank you.

This one is taken when lights on with 3x8W T4 (2blue and 1white);
normal_id1b.jpg

This one is taken with ligths off but using a flash;
id1a.jpg

Pls note that even when the ligths are off, they do not closed up like a normal zoo.

Thanks once again.

Thanks for the inputs. But are some of you referring to rock anemone type? Mine so far do not move at all and more and more are propagating on the piece of rock.

i think its a mejano anenome if i'm not mistaken. some people collect them, come in all sorts of colors, but will sting other corals and reproduce quickly (like aptasia) which is why most people dont like them. :)

if you dont want them, squirt some joes juice into them and that should take care of them, just like aptasia

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6912939#post6912939 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surfnvb7
i think its a mejano anenome if i'm not mistaken. some people collect them, come in all sorts of colors, but will sting other corals and reproduce quickly (like aptasia) which is why most people dont like them. :)

if you dont want them, squirt some joes juice into them and that should take care of them, just like aptasia

Sorry but I have to disagree, I don't think it is a majano.

Yeah i agree, it is some type of anenome, but not sure on the type. Just hope they do not multiply as fast as the aptasia do if you decide to keep them.

Not a majano
they have rounded ends to tentacles
I looks alot like some aptisia you get that are alot browner but the same patterning and appearence.
Wonder how potent their sting is conld be a problem?

Thanks for all the feedback.

From the look of the rock that it attaches to, it does seem to resemble those rock anemones. But I'm not too sure yet.

Here are some blurry photos of how it response when I just feed it with mysis shrimps.

It closes it's mouth upon detection of the food (right one);
zooid3.jpg

After a meal;
zooid4.jpg

Both photos are taken with flash but lights off.

Thanks.

My completely unscientific guess would be a form of protopalythoa.
They usually grow together to form mats, but some will start as individual polyps.

Definatly not a protopaly. They have slits for mouths and definatly dont close up like that.

I want to say they look like these little atlantic anemones ... I forgot the name of them at the moment though. Try posting in the clown and anem. forum I think you might get better response. I'd almost bet money they are not any kind of zoa.

How big are they?

I also vote for the anemone. Looks vaguely similar to a tulip anemone (a type of rock anemone) but the colors are off.

I really thought rock anemone at first, but of looking at its shape and comparing it to some pictures in one of J. Sprungs book, I started thinking different.

How big are these?

The biggest is about slightly over 1cm and those smaller ones are about 0.5cm.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6918467#post6918467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfinn
I really thought rock anemone at first, but of looking at its shape and comparing it to some pictures in one of J. Sprungs book, I started thinking different.

How big are these?

Back