Is this crab reef safe ?

Johnic

Premium Member
I found a hitch hiker with my new coral was wondering if this crab is reef safe before I place it in the tank.

Attachments

• 48A59805-FEF1-4525-A1DC-C65D7ED39168.jpeg
    48A59805-FEF1-4525-A1DC-C65D7ED39168.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 32
Yes. It looks like a porcelain crab.
Filter feeder

they have 3 legs per side
1677887118599.jpeg

crab - 4 legs per side
1677887202024.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t think that’s a porcelain crab. The claw arms are way too long. I’m stumped on this one. Can you post a few more pics? What kind of coral and where did you get it?

Could be some type of squat lobster and not a crab.
As soon as you posted that it clicked in my head. I think you’re right. For some reason I had slipper lobster in my head and that is definitely not it.

Eh, slipper, squat…what’s the difference😂

Perhaps, but I still think it is a porcelain crab. If you click on the pic you can see the large feeding appendages folded there.

I don’t think that’s a porcelain crab. The claw arms are way too long. I’m stumped on this one. Can you post a few more pics? What kind of coral and where did you get it?
Not sure which coral it came from. I found him on the counter when I removed all the corals.

Personally, I wouldn’t hesitate to add it. The small claws make it less likely to be a problem.

It does not look as threatening as this crab that I kept and it never did any damage to coral. I don't know what it is though so not sure.
20180128_151241.jpg

Nice crab Dawn. This little guy messed with everything. Put him in a tank in my shop for a few years. His name was Dudly.
vsNPR89.jpg

He came off some rock from TBS. I expect bad things to show up, so I caught him in QT. There are two things that tell he is bad. One is being hairy. The other is the black claw tips. He's a gorilla crab. Was a blast to feed. Put a scallop or a shrimp on a skewer and let him tear it off.
He was alone in a ten gallon for quite a bit, and as much fun as any tank I've had.

He came off some rock from TBS. I expect bad things to show up, so I caught him in QT. There are two things that tell he is bad. One is being hairy. The other is the black claw tips. He's a gorilla crab. Was a blast to feed. Put a scallop or a shrimp on a skewer and let him tear it off.
He was alone in a ten gallon for quite a bit, and as much fun as any tank I've had.
Yes, even the 'so called reef villain's can make great pets! My oldest son kept a female mantis shrimp named Shakira as one of his early saltwater tanks.

Back