Is this light ok for a fuge?

Yes I heard about those bulbs. Unfortunately I already bought the other one. My chaeto just doesn't seem to be growing very well even with the light on 24/7.

Mikro, What are you using for Chaeto lighting, and what is your photoperiod?
-- edit--
my Chaeto just doesn't want to grow under Marc's bulb 24/7.

Re: Is this light ok for a fuge?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6496774#post6496774 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikro
http://www.aquariumguys.com/12satellite.html

I wouldn't waste your money on aquarium setups like that for fuges. I did...and over $200 went down the drain.

I am using a Lights of America 6500K floodlight from Costco (althought some say you can also buy them from Home Depot). I paid a little over $20 for it and the chaeto grows like mad.

I'm pretty happy with the melev recommended bulb with the Home Depot socket. Cheap, and works well. My 'fuge is looking good. Just make sure you order the 5100K bulb. I tried the 2700K bulb for a while that home Depot stocks, and it did not do well. I ended up ordering a couple of the 5100K bulbs online (but I think HD can order them, too).

sorry to hijack this thread but i'm interested in this light but i can't fing the bulb holder for it can someone put a link up for me please

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6498441#post6498441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iansnakebite
sorry to hijack this thread but i'm interested in this light but i can't fing the bulb holder for it can someone put a link up for me please

You can get the bulb holder (bulb socket with reflector, cord and Spring Clamp) for like $5.99 at Home Depot (or probably any home center). Just look in the electrical section. IMO, probably not worth the shipping to order online.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6497034#post6497034 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikro
Yes I heard about those bulbs. Unfortunately I already bought the other one. My chaeto just doesn't seem to be growing very well even with the light on 24/7.

You really should ask these questions BEFORE you buy something ;)

What if you just dont have the space for a bulb like that flood, and a low profile light is your only option?

I was at Wal-Mart last night and saw the ideal light for a fuge. It's an outdoor flood light fixture with a 6500k (daylight) compact
flourescent bulb (65w/500w) for $11. made by Flourex.
This is the same fixture I purchased from Home Depot for $37. last year. It lights the fuge well, and the Cheato grows at an excelent rate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6504184#post6504184 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dubbin1
You really should ask these questions BEFORE you buy something ;)

Your right. I guess I thought I was getting a good fixture/bulb.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6509515#post6509515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikro
Your right. I guess I thought I was getting a good fixture/bulb.
What you got will work but you just need to ask before spending money :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6505031#post6505031 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fast Fred
I was at Wal-Mart last night and saw the ideal light for a fuge. It's an outdoor flood light fixture with a 6500k (daylight) compact
This is the same fixture I purchased from Home Depot for $37. last year. It lights the fuge well, and the Cheato grows at an excelent rate.

That sounds exactly like the LOA floodlight I was talking about...maybe they're made by the same company??

FWIW many of the lfs around me also use the LOA floodlights to light their fuges.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6509867#post6509867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dubbin1
What you got will work but you just need to ask before spending money :)

The chatoe was growing good for a while but has since slowed down alot. Do you think I should switch to thiis?:

"I was at Wal-Mart last night and saw the ideal light for a fuge. It's an outdoor flood light fixture with a 6500k (daylight) compact
This is the same fixture I purchased from Home Depot for $37. last year. It lights the fuge well, and the Cheato grows at an excelent rate."

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6504515#post6504515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kane4187
My Chaeto grows like crazy under Marc's bulb and I run It 24/7.

Ditto. But I only run 14hrs opposite my display.

Back