It's a battle

bizzleb01

I battle this on a weekly basis. I siphon it out during water changes and stir it up at night and change sock filter in the morning. Nitrates are barely measurable and phosphates are 0. I've got one MP10 and my return pump is a waveline dc6000 on the highest setting. Any other tips on getting rid of it? I also have to scrape my glass on a daily basis.

More than likely the reason why everything is reading zero is being that it is using the nutrients to grow. Some how somewhere they are being introduced into the system or your not exporting enough. I would start with your water source and then go from there.

I am no expert at all but just little bit I have learned over the years.

Having more flow would not help with this algae.

R u using RODI water? How often r u feeding? What's ur clean up crew made up of? Do u have any chaeto in ur sump?

RO water made at home. Tds reading 3. Feed once a day only 3 fish. A few pellets and a very small chunk of frozen. CUC is 3 Tonga nassarius 3 Mexican turbo and about 10 or so blue leg and reef legs and 5 turbo snails

It's a 65. The RO unit is only three months old and only made maybe 400 gallons. It has been at 3 TDS since the very first batch. I really don't feed much at all and I guess I could cut back on lightning a little.

Cutting back on the lighting is not going to do anything. You have extra nutrients in the water from something. You need to figure out how to eliminate them or get it under control some other way than cutting back your lighting.

The ro tds 3 needs to be zer0, and you say its been at 3 since you set it up is it calibrated? If so is the di resin packed tight enough in the cartridge chamber... Or maybe its time to change it ... I would start there and if you can't run cheto in the sump with a light I would maybe look into gfo. I run a fuge ,gfo,and keep a close eye on my tds and change the di resin once it starts to teeter between 0 and 1 and i dont have to clean my glass really ever just after a month or so the snail eggs and coraline get annoying.... You can get a small gfo setup for around $75.00 complete and if you want a chunk of cheto I have some or someone on here will have some also the LFS have it to ...

Last edited:
Back