jumping back in

Reef1330

I had several saltwater and semi reef tanks in the 90's but decided to get back in. I see everything is different today. my plan is a sc aquarium 120 gallon, I'm gonna build my on stand( My other hobby is woodworking). Welcome any suggestions for equipment. I definitely want a under tank sump with a fuge. Ive been scouring the internet for info however its a bit overwhelming.
Thanks

Welcome back!

My first suggestion would be to go with as large of a sump as possible. Trigger systems make good sumps from what I hear if you don’t want to make your own from fish tank.

For equipment, I run a reef octopus skimmer and Jebao return pump and cheapo heaters (with a temp controller). In tank I also use a Jebao wavemaker and a Neptune Wav. I’m still older school and run metal halide on my main tank but LED is very popular nowadays.

Are you planning on doing any type of controller system like an APEX or Hydros or GHL Profilux?

not sure about controller, in the process of researching them now, I ve heard good stuff about trigger system

Controllers aren’t needed but definitely add convenience. For me, if my system hadn’t come with an Apex, I would have gone with a smart power strip for the timer capabilities.

The most important pieces of equipment I would get are a temperature controller (Ranco and Inkbird are popular brands) as they are designed to shut your heaters off in the event of a heater failure, and an auto top off (ATO). The most popular is the Tunze Osmolator 3155 due to reliability, but many also use Neptunes ATO and other brands. I use a Neptune ATO but that’s because it came with the system.

Back