Just purchased a used Red Sea C130

digiburn

Im new to the fish hobby, im currently running a 55g and 15g freshwater for a year. Just purchased a used Red Sea C130, came with all the parts and sand and what looks like dry live rocks. Was told it was functional 6 months ago, but have not tried to get it powered up and started. Its been sitting in outdoor storage over the Canadian winter.

There is sand in the aquarium and filter parts are all over the box. Will need to clean it and assemble it together.

My plan for the C130 is to bring it back to life and hopefully have a brackish or saltwater aquarium.

I have many questions, im hoping that someone can point me to the right direction or suggest things:

1) Should i remove the old sand and replace with new? Or can i reuse?
2) C130 parts still available if needed?
3) Are the dry live rocks dead now? How can i reuse them?
4) If im able to revive the dry live rocks, can i use them on the freshwater aquarium?
4) Protein skimmer, how do you use it? Is there something i need to add or use?

Im new to the fish hobby, im currently running a 55g and 15g freshwater for a year. Just purchased a used Red Sea C130, came with all the parts and sand and what looks like dry live rocks. Was told it was functional 6 months ago, but have not tried to get it powered up and started. Its been sitting in outdoor storage over the Canadian winter.

There is sand in the aquarium and filter parts are all over the box. Will need to clean it and assemble it together.

My plan for the C130 is to bring it back to life and hopefully have a brackish or saltwater aquarium.

I have many questions, im hoping that someone can point me to the right direction or suggest things:

1) Should i remove the old sand and replace with new? Or can i reuse?
2) C130 parts still available if needed?
3) Are the dry live rocks dead now? How can i reuse them?
4) If im able to revive the dry live rocks, can i use them on the freshwater aquarium?
4) Protein skimmer, how do you use it? Is there something i need to add or use?
1…replace, we don’t know if “anything” has been absorbed over the time it was used.
3….yup, unless they remained in saltwater, gone. Rinse them good and put them in with saltwater, flow, and a good size bottle of bacteria (your choice) wait one week, add your first two fish, clowns are super choices. Dim light for a couple of months, Ok to add more fish slowly over time. Once all fish are in and happy, add as many corals as you want and provide light.
4….rocks are hard surfaces which are home to beneficial bacteria, you decide what water type you want to do.
4….for saltwater application…..blow bubbles up a tube, bubbles contain small amounts of dissolved solids, bubbles spill over and are thrown out periodically, this process is one great way of removing wastes.

Back