Kapoho Tide Pools...

ntropics

I've looked at the latest lava flow map, and it appears that the Kapoho neighborhood as going, and the Kapoho Tide Pools may be gone. It was known as one of the best snorkeling spots in the world, and I can personally attest to that. I've been there several times, and feel it is a great loss to the snorkeling world. I hope that it will one day return to become a beautiful spot.

Bruce

Edit: It looks like Kapoho bay is where the lava entered, NOT the tide pools. If so, that's good. It's a great snorkeling place, and great for kids as well, since it's pretty protected. It's also probably the only spot on the east side of Hawaii island that has nice clear water with lots of fish to see. I even saw a sea turtle there last year.

Last edited:
Oh man, That sux.

I loved that spot and was looking forward to spending more time there when we go back for my 50th birthday next summer ...... :sad2:

I've dove up and down the leeward side of the Big Island, but never the windward side. What were the special features of Kapoho? Are there any other special snorkel locations near by?

What is (was) special about the tide pools was that it was a protected area with relatively calm clear water, teeming with life. Not as dense with fish as by the Place of Refuge, but close. It was pretty much the best snorkel site on the east side. I saw sea turtles there, cleaner wrasses, and of course the typical Hawaiian fish: Naso tangs, black triggers, yellow tangs, four spot butterflies, tear drop butterflies, ornate butterflies, aurigas, long nose, and lots of them.
Unlike place of refuge, it was accessible via a short walk off the lave rock beach. Also, very rarely crowded. Just a great place.

Well, that's Hawaii.

Attachments

• turtle.jpg
    turtle.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 5
  • kapoho teardrop.jpg
    kapoho teardrop.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4
  • convict fish.jpg
    convict fish.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 5
  • kapoho grouper.jpg