Labview

Symantec

Premium Member
Has any one attempted a labview based controller.

the possibilities are endless with a labview controller and the programing is very easy.
is there something I'm missing as to why this hasn't been tried before

only down side I see is that a computer has to be running for the controller to run, and if the computer crashes so does your controller. but if fail safes are setup correctly i don't see this being a problem.

I vote for trying it.

I have very little experience with LabView, but I know it's capable of a lot.

I am trying I bought Labview 8.5. I am trying to use it with Adam modules and self containted pH / orp/ etc controllers, so when the computer crashes everything else should be ok. But I am having a difficult time with the programming! Anyone any good at it?

This just may be the one topic on this forum that I can really chip in my 2 cents!

Yes I use it almost every day at work. Standard industrial applications. Absolutely love it.

What you perhaps have not uncovered is that it's expensive, The software and hardware is pricy. But damn it is nice.

Check out the RT systems to avoid crashes. You can put this on a cFP or cRIO system easy...

What are you trying to do?

I built a labview application that polled the modicon PLC I had running my tank. All of the control was done in the PLC though.. Labview was only as an HMI.

Would you guys be using the NI hardware that goes with Labview?

Yup. I have a cRIO and a cFP at my disposal!!
dixonjk and I took the discussion offline we ended up crafting a little application to test out some ethernet-based IO modules talking modbus.

I don't know if that's running or not. At last discussion a long time ago it hadn't actually been used. We'll see if he chimes in.

Personally I have a cRIO running my ATO (switches and peripump) with plans to expand further in the short term. I did end up creating the standard TCP/IP server code on the cRIO so I can get/set states from outside. I did not opt to employ the webserver...

Seeing Green what is your interest???

Very versatile programme but parts to go with the whole concept are quite expensive. Also, not to forget quite a bulky affair. I know someone who is using his ePC to run some scientific stuff for his PhD project. It's great programme and you could see some demos and capabilities on youtube.

Labview also generously advertise in new tech magazines and quite a few free courses for engineer minded people. Check their website for further info.

Yes not cheap. But easy to work with. Bulk has been addressed for these less complicated systems over last few years. I had to struggle with the cost of hardware yes - but it's more than made up IMO in simplicity and power of programming. Even DIY I actually do value my time;)

Love the block diagram method. Very simple to use.....there is so much you can do with this stuff.... good luck and lets us know if anyone takes the plunge...

Sorry have been busy with new job,

Interest is that I have LabView, and have a 6008 daq. So if this is something which people are finding usefull I would plunge headfirst into it, but I am not sure on the strength of the outputs being enough to handle this task :)

Orriginally I was trying to build a system which used light and a reciever along with a temp sensor to determine salinity from the angle refraction of the water. It failed due to a faulty prototype, but the equipment is around yet waiting to be repurposed.

Strength of the outputs? Could you elaborate?

If you're willing to be tied down to a computer running your control app your board would totally work for simple applications. You'd just need to make a small custom circuit board to interface with the 6008 to import/export your real world IO.

Anyway I play around with this stuff all the time LMK if I can help.

I develop with LabVIEW everyday and had considered a controller using labview. I'd certainly be willing to help with the development of any LabVIEW based controller project.

Back