Large, interesting aiptasia

AFishHasNoName

I first got into the hobby two years ago when I was gifted a 15 gallon tank with a decent amount of live rock. Those original rocks have what I thought were cool anemones on them, but I'm now pretty convinced are aiptasia (see photos). I even used to feed them. What's interesting is how they don't spread like everyone says theirs do and how large they are. I've put them through plenty of stress as a budding aquarist, but they don't die or spread. As far as I know, I have nothing in my tank that could eat little aiptasia. My question is, are these for sure aiptasia, and, if so, why don't they seem to be the terror everyone makes them out to be?

Attachments

• img20170529_133752.jpg
    img20170529_133752.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1
  • img20170529_133850.jpg
    img20170529_133850.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1
They do look like aiptasia. But, there are several species that make their way into the reef trade. Sexual reproduction methods vary (and whether some species would in a reef tank is another matter), thus are not all a problem. For example, A. pallida (I think) occurs on TBS rock sometimes but noone seems to be concerned about them spreading.

Thanks for sharing. I would probably have left them alone too (but my filefish wouldn't have).

Back