Leather coral babies?

Reef_World

Are these new leathers growing out of the side? If so do I need to frag them?

Attachments

• IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
you may just be growing new nodules.. but they look like leather frags to me. I had a leather years ago that did that .. they eventually snipped themselves off and floated around the tank until they found a place to settle. your call as to what you want to do.
you can frag them now or wait and see what they do.

you may just be growing new nodules.. but they look like leather frags to me. I had a leather years ago that did that .. they eventually snipped themselves off and floated around the tank until they found a place to settle. your call as to what you want to do.
you can frag them now or wait and see what they do.

how big were they when they snipped themselves off?

if I recall correctly. its been a while. they were about half the size of my pinky finger in width. the ones that fragged themselves always stayed very thin at the attachment point on the main leather.

How do I frag these guys??

Just get yourself a pair of sharp scissors and cut it as close to the base as you can. Once this is done getting it to attach to something else is a little more difficult. Super glue gel doesn't really work too well with softies, but it's definitely worth a shot. Another option is to secure it to a small piece of rubble with some fishing line or a small rubber band. The link below discusses some of these options in detail I believe.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/ac/feature/index.php

scissors/knife and cut.. They will fall off on their own though..
Then just rubberband or superglue to a rock,etc.. and all done..

expect a ton more.. devils hands can reproduce like crazy.

scissors/knife and cut.. They will fall off on their own though..
Then just rubberband or superglue to a rock,etc.. and all done..

expect a ton more.. devils hands can reproduce like crazy.

my LFS told me they will attach to them rock once they separate, is that true? I just don't want to have them floating around in my tank and getting lost.

They'll pretty much attach to anything given time, but during that time the coral needs to be in constant contact with that object. The reef can be a pretty turbulent place sometimes, so this is why rubber bands, fishing line and super glue gel are so important.

my LFS told me they will attach to them rock once they separate, is that true? I just don't want to have them floating around in my tank and getting lost.

sure...
I have probably 4 or 5 now just floating around my tank..
They will eventually attach to something..
But if you want to be in control of where they attach then take matters into your own hands..

sure...
I have probably 4 or 5 now just floating around my tank..
They will eventually attach to something..
But if you want to be in control of where they attach then take matters into your own hands..

I am guessing I should let them grow a bit more before fragging?

You can do the cutting underwater. No worries.

FWIW I've got a small Toadstool frag that's no bigger than a small gumball. Let me see if I can get a good picture and then I'll post it. It was about the size of a pea when I glued it to the rock.

You can do the cutting underwater. No worries.

FWIW I've got a small Toadstool frag right now that's no bigger than a small gumball. Let me see if I can get a good picture of it. It was about the size of a pea when I glued it to a piece of rubble.

Thanks, that would really help. :rollface:

Back