Leather corals and stony corals.. Also a stony is turning brown...

FSJGUY

In Memoriam
This is a list of corals i have in my tank.

Purple Monti cap plating
Purple Encrusting Monti
2x chalice corals diff colors
Yellow poritas
Reverse superman montipora encrusting
Jackolanturn leptoseris
Frogskin Acropora
Purple Bonsai Acropora
4 diff type of Zoas
2x Bubble coral
Torch coral
Hammer coral
2x Brain corals. Not sure the exact names of them

The corals in question are

Green Tree Nepthea
Purple Cespitularia
Neon Green Cabbage coral.

Now i love these 3 corals... But i read leathers can release toxins and kills my stony corals.. and i have a ton of stony corals as you can see. Is the Purple Cespitularia even a leather ? Not sure if it releases toxins or not..

Should i take these put or ? I mean So far ive noticed no die offs in my tank. Although a Green Planet acro melted in 24 hrs but that was put into a 30g tank with no corals i auspect the shock of tank transfer or something just caused stn which sucked. All my corals seem to be growing.

the only coral i really have an issue with is my Yellow poritas.. Slowely its been turning from bright yellow to brown.. Half the coral is brown and im not sure why.. Any ideas ? Was a faily expensive coral and its a decent size about 4 inchs in diameter..

Any help would be appritiated..

As for tank readings.. temps are 78-80, salinity 1.025, calcium 480, alk is 11, ph 8.2, nitrates 5ppm. phosphates .15. Lighting is 4x24w T5HO 2x Blue plus ati. 1 purple plus and 1 coral plus all ati bulbs.

The yellow poritas is mid way in the center of my tank and has high to medium flow from a powerhead... I thought maybe the brown is algae ? but cleaning it with a tooth brush only works a little i think its turning brown inside.

So if you can help with this coral and if i should keep the leathers i have or no ? I have a 30g tank with no corals in it but id prefer to keep them in here.. I dunno

Was there pictures you forgot to attach? (as you can see..??)

Can you clarify your questions again? You seemed to go a bit spacey every now and then

Why is my yellow poritas turning brown.. and should i remove the leathers since i have tons of stony corals

1-Browning of corals is usually because of an increase in zooanthellae algae at the surface of the coral. This may be from many factors including stress, elevated nutrient levels, lack of sufficient light, etc...

2-While leather corals can release toxins in response to stress its kind of unknown how often that occurs if at all in a home aquarium.. Many people maintain leather corals as well as SPS corals without issue.. Others feel that its best to remove or not have those corals just in case.. Others run carbon is a "just in case" too.. Its really unknown how many times/if carbon even helps.. Its also unknown just how many/ if any SPS problems are toxicity related..

So the answers to both of your questions are not definite and its really a trial and error type of thing..

I have quite a few leathers mixed with SPS, I have had no problems.
I run GAC just in case

well i guess since i havent noticed anything with my nepthea and cabbage and the cespitularia ill leave em alone.

I do run carbon sometimes but mainly i use purigen in my Hob filter with a polishing pad.. i have no sump so i use a hob for storing bags of stuff and to remove the water of particles with the polishing pad.

As for light the Porites is in the middle and more towards the edge of the light.. although the light is raised so that shouldnt matter too much ? I just move it to the top of my tank now.. but being on top its still more on the edge of the lighting..

Should i keep it in the middle ? If i move it back to the midway point of the tank i could actually put it directly under all 4 bulbs..

Or should i move it to the top of my rocks but its more on the edge of the light.

Am i making sense ? Or do you need pics

Also when i say edge of the light the tank is a 60g hexagon.. 25×29 inches wide and my fixture is maybe 17 inches wide and 26 long.. But hanging 8 inches above the tank with reflectors it does cover the entire tank quite well... But the way the porites was originally positioned it was more towards the middle front of the tank so with 4 bulbs.. it was under the edge of the fixture... Moving it on top its about 5 inches higher in the tank but now its on the top back of the tank still on the edge of the fixture.

Should i keep it on top like that.. Or move it back to the middle of the tank but this time directly under the fixture ?

My rock work is like a column going up the back of the tank and the middle has raised island with a bridge..

uhg ill just post pics lol its hard to explain

Back