LED upgrade

rone_kevin66

I just want to see what everyone on here thinks on an LED upgrade for my biocube29. You all helped with my new ATO so fig I'd ask. I have been going between the maxspect nano or the kessil 160. The reef breeder photon 16 is on the very high end. I don't no if the 160 has enough power for that size tank. Not going to have sps in the tank but I do want to get a rbt once I get a new light.

Personally I like the kessils for that size tank, but I'd wait for the AI prime to drop and see what the reviews are like

Personally I like the kessils for that size tank, but I'd wait for the AI prime to drop and see what the reviews are like

+1

I have both the Kessil and the Maxspect. They both work well but the AI Prime looks like it might end up being the superior light in the $200 price range.

+1

I have both the Kessil and the Maxspect. They both work well but the AI Prime looks like it might end up being the superior light in the $200 price range.

I looked at the the prime and love the features but I would need to run 2 of them to for my tank and take me over $400.

18x18x12 coverage for 500 par is what they quote on their website... Reef builders say they had it at 20x20. Even at 18x18x12 I would say that would be plenty to grow most any SPS in a BC29, but you're not growing SPS. BTA light requirements are less than SPS, too... That means your sandbed will be at what, 200-300 if the light is at 100%. I don't think my sandbed is even at 100 par, and I grow LPS great on it.

I have a Kessil 150 and it's plenty, so the 160 would be fine. I would guess the new AI fixture will have even better coverage.

So here is an update. I just won a maxspect 120w 16000k led on ebay for 260$ brand new. I didn't think I would win it but o well I did. Is this light over kill for my tank.

Just don't crank it up and you will be ok. I suggest getting the new reflectors for it to get a better spread and blend on the led's.

It's only overkill if you turn it up too high.
Thanks I definitely don't plan on running at full power.

Just don't crank it up and you will be ok. I suggest getting the new reflectors for it to get a better spread and blend on the led's.
I just found the 120°reflectors and I will order them later this week. The tank is not deep so I definitely don't need the 90°.

I am a Kessil honk....A150 Ocean Blue

I do like the A160W and I was going to buy one if I didn't win this light.

Back