Lets talk about wave makers, surge tanks etc.

David MC Lee

What type of wave making devices have you built or used and how well did they work?
My first tank used a dump bucket ATS from Inland Aquatics. It was behind the tank in a closet and dumped into a 5G buck and then ran to the main tank through a 2" pipe. Gave a pretty good long surge. 125G tank

Next tank I custom built and it had a false back wall with an opening on each end. In the back I had a paddle that moved back and forth with a gear motor. Worked great but it would break bolts often when a snail got between the paddle and the side of the tank. It made my corals sway back and forth and was very realistic. But it was a custom 800G tank.
picture.php

I also made a prototype of a Carson Surge tank that had a dual surge with bubble remover. Never ran it on a reef but worked very well. No bubble came out and the biggest issue is I needed to find a way to synchronize the dual units so it would not drain so much water from the tank.
picture.php

Last system I had was a toilet flapper controlled from DC windshield whipper motors and would pull the flapper once a 55G drum was full. Drain was 2". It needed a bigger drain. It also was not the most reliable but could be improved.

I have always wanted to build a reverse Carson surge tank but I read they tend to shake tanks apart. I think you could limit this.

Another option I have seen is a piston controlled from a DC gear motor. You can make a large piston like 12" and it will pump water out and then back in . The issues I have seen with this is it is very hard on the motor bearings. Doing a dual or quad unit might help with this.

What other ideas do you have other than pumps cycling on and or or motor rotating valves.

I would say the paddle was best overall and seemed to be extremely efficient.

Last edited:
Look into a medium size int/external pump. Then check out the 4,5,or 6 valve systems for lawn irrigation at depot.

I have built and still use a carlson surge device. It has 3" plumbing connected to a 44 gallon brute trash can. How does your bubbless carlson surge work?

Basically the bottom supports have water in them and the new water with bubbles comes in the top and the water going to the tank comes off the bottom. The bubbles never make it down the 4 feet or so to the bottom.

If you looks at my pics galley under surge I show the inside of the surge system.

My proudest DIY project was a borneman surge device that sent a surge into my 60 gallon tank using old tupperware: https://youtu.be/t5M_sP8IktY

It was a challenge to get to work, but not too hard, it was pretty basic and well, amateur.
The surge was great but could never figure out a way to reduce the bubbles and the salt spray got on everything. Had to take it out, but I miss it.

Last edited:
Basically the bottom supports have water in them and the new water with bubbles comes in the top and the water going to the tank comes off the bottom. The bubbles never make it down the 4 feet or so to the bottom.

If you looks at my pics galley under surge I show the inside of the surge system.

Sweet. Not sure how bubbles dont come out at the end since its how it stops the syphon.

Back