Live rock question

We have had this discussion on this forum before.. (not with you but others)
Most won't agree that a value can be placed on time in a hobby...
I tried that before and got my hand slapped :)

I don't put any value in coralline either.. I have an urchin solely to keep coralline at bay... Why people want it is beyond me..

And you certainly don't need to add anything to dry rock to have a sufficient bacterial colony either... That just comes naturally.. Bacterial additives just help to speed up the process but are not needed at all..

But yes.. If you want an instant purple/pink tank then ponying up is certainly the best way to achieve that..
We each have our wants/needs/budgets..

To me "Nothing good happens fast in this hobby".. so I don't consider spending more for purple/pink rock to be anything good..

The ONLY reason I want to purchase live rock from a vendor like TBS is solely for the hitchhikers..
To me finding the stuff living/growing in the tank that I did not intentionally put there is the most fun of this hobby.. I welcome hitchhikers... No one wants nuisance problems though but most are fairly easy to solve..

I appreciate everyones opinions though so no need to argue ;)

No arguing! your no fun :mad: I hate coraline, but it is a good indication of tank maturity. :deadhorse1:

A little off topic, but you mention the hitchhikers and such....

I am a big fan of that aspect also... Or will be once I get up and going. But I'm not sure the store cured rock I'll be buying will gave much of that stuff...

I'd also be interested in a DSB for the same reasons... But unsure if that's a good route...

All depends on the store... From a local fish stores "live" rock bin I'd expect pods/bristleworms/micro brittle starfish/hydroid jellies/asterina stars,etc...

The stuff in the bins around here looks like someone picked it up in the parking lot and threw it in some water. If you are lucky enough to find any life it's usually aiptasia and algae from someone's tank they gave up on. It's nothing like the primo rock we used to import from Walt Smith back in the Nineties. There'd be corals growing on that.

As far as dry rock goes, sure it's cheaper, and I've got plenty, it's sitting under the steps in my basement. I thought I'd try to save some money a few years back and hated everything about it. The look: Big barren white icebergs. The performance: A blank slate ripe for colonization by unwanted guests. Live rock is the last place I would try to save money.

I’ve only checked a couple live rock supplies from local stores and they are all very plain colored, heavy and don’t appear to be very porous. I have 80-90 lbs of cleaned, previously live,now dry rock that will make up the bulk of the tank and want 20ish lbs of real live rock from each TBS and GLR...100% for the hitch hikers and bacteria! I’m still kinda leery of what will be in the rock but I bought shoulder length gloves so I should be good with whatever I get! Side note, I’m terrified of the actual ocean but mesmerized by it so this tank is my tiny ocean

I use this kind of rock all the time, i have couple hundred pounds in my basement right now.

I keep it in tubs with a heater and power head for circulation.

I use a light because different kinds of algae do come in ion them and I like some in my reef. I also got a few corals on the rock in the last shipment which need light.

I recommend air freight for the rock and picking it up at the airport. You get it much quicker and it is in much better shape. Tampa Bay saltwater ships theirs in water which is even better for less die off and cycling.

KPaquatics and Gulfview also offer good rock and air freight them.

No coast guarding for me smatter!!
Thanks nanook, didn’t know that was there! What’s your favorite store around here? Do you know what happened to Clayton Pet?
Shred, when was your last shipment that came with corals?

Thanks nanook, didn't know that was there! What's your favorite store around here? Do you know what happened to Clayton Pet?

CPE went out of business several years ago due to decreased store business, maybe secondary to HWY 40 construction. I think Jan still does tank maintenance but not positive.

My favorite store is tough to say, they all have their good points. For corals, I think it is The Corner Reef in South County. Although, Li at Corals N More has a large selection of corals too, but it is far from my house.

Thanks nanook, didn’t know that was there! What’s your favorite store around here? Do you know what happened to Clayton Pet?

My last one had some on..
I got two corals, lots of sponges, lots of different algae especially halimeda, and the tunicates didn't make it.
I love halimeda algae and looks natural on a reef.

Order before that I got lots of urchins.

It happens and is ok on aqua-cultured rock..

Not uncommon to get a gorgonia, cup or tube coral.

If you look here they list some of the stuff that could possibly come in on TB rock:
https://www.tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/organisms.html
Look under coral or gorgonia.

I had a little goby come in on some aqaucultured rock.

If you look at the 6th picture that is the coral that was on my rock:
http://www.gulfliverock.com/premium-decorative-rock.html

This is exactly what my rock looks like on my last batch.

Last edited:
I’m on the east side so everyone is far from me. There is supposed to be a store moving to Fairview heights and opening soon I hope, the building they are in is huge. Corner reef was nice and clean, love their unicorn in the front display. I also like seascape studio, very nice people and a clean store. My dad used to frequent Clayton pet and was so upset when I told him I couldn’t find that store.

Back