Local Collecting (Cockroach Bay)?

nawilson89

One of my favorite parts of the hobby is going out and finding crabs, fish and such out in the gulf. I've collected at Picnic Island and Sand Key, but havent made my way to Fort Desoto (which is pretty much the holy land from what i've heard). I've fished in Cockroach Bay (albeit I'm a terrible fishermen), but I haven't actually gone looking for anything good. Has anyone collected locally in Cockroach bay? Care to share what you've gotten.

Added note: I do have my license and am up to date with the FWC collecting regulations.

Crabs, shrimp, a blennies if possible.

Just looking to see if there's any good spots that people know about or what they've found

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Been a few year since I've been to the roach, but I've seen just about anything that's collectible.

Personally, I'd go to the back bay (north from ramp through the hole) where it's wide open with little human traffic. That's where the majority of the wading birds seem to hang as well (lot's of rays back there, watch your step). It's one of the largest (if not) estuaries in the bay itself.

Been a few year since I've been to the roach, but I've seen just about anything that's collectible.

Personally, I'd go to the back bay (north from ramp through the hole) where it's wide open with little human traffic. That's where the majority of the wading birds seem to hang as well (lot's of rays back there, watch your step). It's one of the largest (if not) estuaries in the bay itself.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Ive been through there many many times and havent seen much of anything for aquariums. Large red hermit crabs with anemones on the shell, nassarius snails, white-leg hermit crab, very small horseshoe crab, ive seen very large grey angels wile giging at night, and thats about it. I used to collect ghost shrimp on the skyway for a couple years for retail stores and that was the most exciting. Finding mysis shrimp, ghost shrimp, pipe fish, seahorses, drawf seahorses, different colored tunnicats, sponge, walking batfish. Thats about all i no about off land. In the keys is where collecting from shore is absolutly amazing.

Back