Low Tech, Macro Algae Tank Plans

SoloChromis

I know, I know, using the word "natural" in the realm of aquaria is sometimes controversial, but I think you guys'll get where I'm coming from. So I've put together a plan for a large, low, low tech tank that doesn't even involve a sump. As far as the tank itself, it will be built out of plywood with a front viewing panel made of low-iron glass, with a good foot of framing the left and ride sides of the window, to hide equipment, making portions of the tank hidden, effectively allowing me to turn the tank itself into into a sump so to speak, if I ever feel the need to tack on more pieces of equipment. I'm not sure the size in gallons, but it will probably be anywhere from 150-300g. For filtration the tank will utilize macro algae, tridacna clams, and porous live rock.

Lighting : 10k LEDs of some kind
Flow : Tunze Comline Wavebox 6214, (3) Jebao Pumps
Additional Equipment : Tunze Osmolator & calcium reactor of some kind

Livestock :
(1) Yellow Longnose Butterfly
(6) Azure Damsels
(2) Percula Clowns
(3) Flame Angels
(1) Zebra Moray Eel
(1) Yellowfin Fairy Wrasse
(1) Leopard Wrasse (female)
(1) Bellus Angel (female)
(1) Stippled Clingfish
(2) Talbot's Damsels

Has anybody ever accomplished success with keeping a large, low tech tank like this using only organic means of nutrient export?

That's how my tank is set up. 125 gal DT + 30 in the sump. The sump is 1/3 soft coral for nutrient export, 1/3 frag and 1/3 macroalgae for nutrient export. I also have some macroalgae in the DT. I have elevated nutrients which is fine for my tank: mainly softies with a handful of LPS and SPS. I can grow a 1/2 gallon size bag of macroalgae in a week.
Seems to work just fine, though I have been cutting feeding to reduce nutrients.
Besides lights and pumps there is no tech. Dosing is not off limits and I have some on the shelf but I don't have a dosing regime.

Back