Macroalgae

saltyguy

Hello! It has been a long time since I have been on here. I set up a new aquarium and it has been Lance Armstrong (cycling) for 5 weeks now. I still need to do the first water change but I am not putting fish in till the new year. I am getting ideas of how I want to decorate the display tank. I was thinking of doing a Macroalgae display. Has anyone done this or have you known someone who has? I was thinking of mangroves but that's really all I know of except chaeto. I don't want chaeto in the display. I also want Tang fish so is there an algae that they don't eat? Oh! I have a 125 gallon aquarium with a 55 gallon sump.

Yep,
Just about everything eats the delicate expensive macros including many fish,snails, & hermits, been there done that & for what you pay the macro algae is totally rediculess in size & amount one receives + shipping. I had several interesting ones & all were eaten up in less then a week, ill never go that rout again total waste of $$$. I have cheato in my display and it keeps red cyano in check & is growing nice & dark green & looks natural like a reef should. If i ever to mess with macro algae it would have to be a speciality tank or a fuge period.

Why all the negativity towards macros?

Macro tanks are very different from reef tanks. And just as you wouldn't fill a reef tank with butterfly fish, in a macro tank you would also avoid certain fish, like tangs. They are not a waste of money if you've done some research and you know what you're doing. Throwing macros into a reef tank is a formula for failure, just as throwing corals into a macro tank would be.

Sure, macros can be challenging. Isn't that what this hobby is all about?

I said it would have to be a macro only speciality tank.
I was just explaining my exp. with macros, and what happened. I don't miss them at all if i even had them it would be as an additional nutrition source for all my inhabitants but i don't want to setup a macro only tank just to grow them out from expensive micro frag plugs, more work & i don't have the space for it.
They are interesting plants and as an additional food source everything loves them, just wish they came cheaper & in larger amounts is all.

There are numerous macros that tangs won't eat..
Ive had good experiences buying macros off eBay... Small pieces/bunches but cheap and they grow fast given the right conditions..

Reefcleaners often has cheap/penny macro deals..
Liveplants has quite a bit of algae to choose from..

I really like macro tanks.. Go for it

Well what about Mangroves? I was researching and couldn't find out if Tangs eat those. I think I will grow some macro in the sump as a food source for the Tangs. I also have right now some chaeto in my sump.

No, they will not eat mangroves. They will eat most of the prettier macro in the display though. I grow codium in my sump because it doesn't get invasive if it gets Into the display. It's not the best looking macro for a display but look it up and message me if you want to try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a recent pic of my seagrasses, macros and mangroves. The fish are Tuxedo Damsels (black and white), and Allen's Damsels (blue).

picture.php

Back