Makeshift IP cam

FloMotion

So I just upgraded my phone and instead of trading in my gs4 I decided to repurpose it as a makeshift IP cam for my reef. The video quality is good and I can monitor my reef at any time. This can be done with a smart phone that you may have around house.

Here's what I did:

- download IP WebCam app from app store or Google play on the device that you want to use as a WebCam
- position the intended smart phone against the aquarium glass to get a good view of your reef. I propped it up on a mag float.
- download Ivideon app on the device you want to view your tank, and follow install instructions from IP webcam app.

That's it, now you get a live feed of your reef at any time. :beer:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I used Warden Cam from Google Play. Works like a charm, one time I strapped it onto an oscillating floor fan and watched my dogs and the tank.

the only issue to be concerned with is the quality of the camera? maybe i will buy some older iPhone or apple touch. great idea

the only issue to be concerned with is the quality of the camera? maybe i will buy some older iPhone or apple touch. great idea

The quality isn't high definition by any means. However, it's very easy to set up and take down while I'm out of town for work. plus the fact, I love to nerd out on technology every time I get a chance :)

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks

I have done similar a while ago for watching house. But never struck me to do it for tank. Thanks.

Thanks for the info everyone! I will certainly be setting this up on my tank. I have more than enough old cell phones that I can set up multiple views! Thanks for the idea about using them to watch the house Z! I will be doing that too.

different monitoring apps can make a difference as well. I upgraded my web cam to a higher resolution camera and it looked like crap, tried a different viewing app and it made a world of difference.

Irish that fan idea is genius. love the low tech solution.

Chris just a heads up you can you one of those car cell holders to keep it in place. I also used a very old magnetic glass cleaner to hold it by a door. Can't believe it never hit me to use it for tank. :) sometimes the simplest of things are right in ones grasp :)

This is what I used:

lg-29650-62928R_04-fish.jpg

Chris just a heads up you can you one of those car cell holders to keep it in place. I also used a very old magnetic glass cleaner to hold it by a door. Can't believe it never hit me to use it for tank. :) sometimes the simplest of things are right in ones grasp :)

This is what I used:

lg-29650-62928R_04-fish.jpg

Great idea with the car mount idea Z, I'm definitely going use it.

Back