metal stands

elvis142

Question to all that have metal stands. What did you put around the stand? Sheet metal, wood, ???
I'm replacing my tank that leaked twice and want to go metal instead of woo for the stand. Trying to figure out what to skin the stand with. I will be getting the same shaped tank, peninsula style.

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
I went FRP panels with magnets. Super affordable. HD will cut to fit, painted well.

I would say this is a budget approach that will look as good as other home projects end up looking when you do them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I designed my metal stand with corner tabs for mounting panels with magnets. The corner pieces are set in the same as the bottom supports for a slightly recessed panel when mounted. I'm going to wrap my stand in walnut panels, I just haven't had a chance to make them yet, but will this summer.

Wow you got skills

Thanks! I designed it, but didn't fabricate the stand. The only thing I would've done differently is get the powder coat finished elsewhere and just use the frame for the canopy with holes for attaching wood or veneer panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think all my pictures are on my old phone but for my 180g I basically made panels out of 3/4" plywood. I counter sunk some epoxy coated rare earth magnets I got off amazon into the plywood where it would meet the top and bottom bracing. I also ripped some 1" x length of panels of the left over plywood to rest on the bottom inside of the stand. This made it easy to set the height and keep everything aligned and level when closing it up. Its nice to just pull them off and if need be all of them and have complete access under the tank. They were also strong enough for me to consider them child proof.

I'm probably going to do it again on my next build but wrap the plywood front and back in formica. It will make it nice and water resistant and I wont even see the magnets that way.

Not the best picture but you can see the basic layout I did. I'll be doing gloss next go around since the flat got super dirty easily. 20191214_091934 by Matthew Schueneman, on Flickr

Last edited:
Those look and sound great. In the planning stages right now. I still need to remove the old tank and demo the stand, Thanks for sharing everyone

I went FRP panels with magnets. Super affordable. HD will cut to fit, painted well.

I would say this is a budget approach that will look as good as other home projects end up looking when you do them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Do you have any pictures? Counter sunk the magnets, right?

Back