MicroMesh Acrylic repair Question

oceana

In Memoriam
hey ya'll

as some know i picked up a used 270 acrylic tank. after cleaning out the tank it became very clear that the tank was LOADEd with scratches. when filled with water it was not to bad but it was still bugging me. this week i ordered the large micro mesh kit. last night i broke it out and went to work. (arm still ready to fall off)

anyways. i went through 6 steps and have 2 more to go.
most if not all of the scratches are gone and its looking more and more clear with each step but i have a few questions.

first off is there anyone here that has done this before that would not mind if i called for some advice?

if not does anyone have and special tips that i may not know about to help get the finish as clear as possible?

if you only do the scratches vs. doing the entire panel, it will look very distorted. i used (believe it or not) an electric sander with fine sandpaper to get all the scratches and the entire surface down level (saved arms). The tank was translucent at best, you could see how many fingers on the other side. Then I used the acrylic kit. I think it was like 10 or something stages. It came out really nice, but if I had to do it again. I wouldn't. I would sell it and find some used piece on ebay that is ready to go.
Good luck!

yes i did the whole tank. as for leaving it alone i could not stand it. but like you said it is a TON of work. i should have done the sanding with a machine first and then went by hand as well. oh well hind sight 20-20

Back