Mimic with spots

Scotty333!!!

Guys
I put a 2” half black mimic tang in to join my 15 other fish on Monday

In the store he looked perfect but on Tuesday I noticed he was covered in white spots .
I don’t know if this is disease or just stress spots as I’ve had it before with new tangs and heavy feeding , hands out tank and it goes in a week.

But, having never experienced velvet I’m worried it could be that , although he’s still alive today and feeding and I think velvet would have killed him by now

I’ll try and get some shots soon

Guys
I put a 2” half black mimic tang in to join my 15 other fish on Monday

In the store he looked perfect but on Tuesday I noticed he was covered in white spots .
I don’t know if this is disease or just stress spots as I’ve had it before with new tangs and heavy feeding , hands out tank and it goes in a week.

But, having never experienced velvet I’m worried it could be that , although he’s still alive today and feeding and I think velvet would have killed him by now

I’ll try and get some shots soon
Spots are almost always a concern, especially with Tangs. It seems Tangs are more susceptible to parasites which isn't a surprise considering their mucous coating is rather thin. There are a few types of parasites that will look like spots, including but not limited to Marine Ich and Velvet. Sometimes though, 'spots' are mucous extrusions or indications of a virus. A short video of at least one minute long under white light will help as well as any other behavioral issues.

Always best to quarantine new fish before putting them in with the community fish. Does the store you got the fish from put copper or other meds in their system? Sometimes they do this to suppress the parasites, but it really isn't a cure.

Back