Minimal Frag Tank Setup

president89

I went over someone's house today who had a beautiful frag tank. I asked them to show me what they had for equipment underneath. All they had was two little fishes reactors with carbon in them inside a tiny sump. That's it!. The tank had no fish in it, just full of LPS frags. The guy said he just does water changes - he uses the frag tank water to supplement his fish breeding setup - and replaces with new salt water. He said the salt mix he has gives the corals everything they need. He just tests to make sure things like alkalinity are good. There was no live rock either!

How is this possible? I double checked his plumbing to make sure there wasn't another hidden sump somewhere. This makes me want to mimic his setup and set up a frag tank. I always thought I was going to have to buy boat loads of equipment.

It's possible because he doesn't have a skimmer or fish poop, so the nutrients don't get too low even though he has a low bioload. My guess is it's not a big tank?

I used to have a similar minimal setup and it was ok, but corals looked better and grew faster when I went with a good skimmer and lots of fish pooping.

Back