Mixed reef - easy or no so ?

Scotty333!!!

Hi guys

For all you guys that run mixed reefs, by that i mean the full range , softies , lps , sps , non and photosynthetics
Where is the sweet spot ? I mean it’s fairly straightforward with lighting and flow i.e soft lower light and flow moving up to the high par loving turbulent waters for sps.
What about your water ? I’m finding i have something that not happy at different times . Is everyone in the same boat or do you have the key I’m missing

My tank is primarily SPS but I have a couple toadstools, zoas, hammers and torches. In my opinion LPS and SPS require much of the same parameters (nutrient wise). Softies a like a but dirtier water but most will tolerate the same nutrient wise as SPS and LPS. I just notice slower growth with softies. Generally my tank is pretty happy though occasionally something shrinks for a day or two and is then back to normal.

I agree with Shane. For SPS I have Acros, Porites, a Seriatophora, and a Stylo. For LPS I have a couple Favia/Favites and some others that came on my KP live rock. For softies, I have R. Florida, Zoas, and Gorgonians. As long as you keep your parameters in the recommended range, all should do fine.

It matters more about what you want currently and later.
More SPS than LPS was my goal. Of course water quality is more important if you want SPS to thrive.
If you can afford SPS, i..e. time and effort + flow and lighting cost, then go for it.

Few shots with my new lens filter

Attachments

• IMG_2901.jpeg
    IMG_2901.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2903.jpeg
    IMG_2903.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2904.jpeg
    IMG_2904.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2906.jpeg