Mixing Leopards

Tarasco1

Premium Member
I posted this in the reef fishes forum a while back, and didn't get much of an answer, so I thought I'd ask you directly. I realize this may be a little late (after your article) but I was reading your article on leopard's over, and noticed that you were able to keep several different Macropharyngodon species together, provided that there is only one male. I'm probably going to get another tank at the end of the year, and really want to try and do this, specifically keeping M. ornatus, M. geoffroy, M. negrosensis and M. meleagris, with bipartitus thrown in if I can find one. So I have a couple of questions that some of you may be able to help answer:

Is it best to get several smaller fishes and place them in the tank together at the same time? Basically juveniles? What is the approximate size limit of a juvenile Macropharyngodon?

Assuming that the tank will have a productive refugium, what size tank would you recommend for 5 or so leopards in this arrangement?

Also, there are a couple of wrasses that look similar Macropharyngodon, but aren't. I think Halichoeres such as ornate/christmas and dusky wrasses. How would these guys do in there with the Macropharyngodon? Or would it be the same, there could be only one male? I saw in another thread that you had aggression after a couple of months, was there a cause for this, or was it just a size difference?

Finally, would they be OK with a small harem (1 male and 2-3 females) of fairy wrasses in the same tank? Would there be aggression issues between the male Macropharyngodon and male Cirrhilabrus?

Just thinking of future tank possibilities. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Re: Mixing Leopards

Tarasco1 said:
I posted this in the reef fishes forum a while back, and didn't get much of an answer, so I thought I'd ask you directly.

ack! you found me... ;)

Is it best to get several smaller fishes and place them in the tank together at the same time? Basically juveniles?

i always try to get all my fish as juveniles as it seems they make the transition to captive a lot better than adults in most cases.

What is the approximate size limit of a juvenile Macropharyngodon?

hehe, this is highly variable by species. on average, individuals roughly 1/2 the size of adult males will be adult females. there is a noticable color shift in most species. anyhting less than 1/2 size will be a juvenile.

Assuming that the tank will have a productive refugium, what size tank would you recommend for 5 or so leopards in this arrangement?

hrmmm, not sure i can provide that magic number for you. there are way to many variables to consider. i had 3 different female species do exceptionally well in my 75g, so...

Also, there are a couple of wrasses that look similar Macropharyngodon, but aren't. I think Halichoeres such as ornate/christmas and dusky wrasses. How would these guys do in there with the Macropharyngodon?

i only have expereince with h. ornitssimus (sp? - gimme a break, it's late ;) ) and it didnt go well. i've heard melanarus was a better option, but again, no personal experience.

Or would it be the same, there could be only one male? I saw in another thread that you had aggression after a couple of months, was there a cause for this, or was it just a size difference?

i believe it was territorial. the leopard was repeatedly chased until it dove into the sand. <shrug>

Finally, would they be OK with a small harem (1 male and 2-3 females) of fairy wrasses in the same tank? Would there be aggression issues between the male Macropharyngodon and male Cirrhilabrus?

perhaps look towards paracheilinus species instead - a better fit.

Just thinking of future tank possibilities. Thanks in advance.

Mike

no problem,

HTH

henry

Back