Most effective use of Ich treatment time

winflakes

I learned the valuable lesson of quarantining yesterday when my powder brown tang, Coco, looked at me with sad eyes and white spots. I am in the process of setting up two 20long tanks to start my TTM treatment. My display will sit fallow for 76 days following the removal of all my fish to be 100%.

My question is, what can I do to be more effective with my time during fallow? I haven't QT anything (sand, rocks, corals) I put in my tank before. I am sure I have other pests that got a free ride in that would be unaffected by a fallow period. Would it be beneficial to remove everything and do some dips during the fallow time so that I will have a truly clean tank? Are there any treatments I could broadcast administer to the fallow tank without fear of hurting the fish?

To add salt to the wound, I placed an order for some corals on Sunday right before I saw the Ich. All those corals will be going through an extensive dip regimen. Would I be able to put those in the DT after a QT monitor period from the dips or should I keep them out the full fallow time as well?

I inherited this tank from my brother about a year ago, but have just recently changed my approach from simply keeping things alive to wanting them to thrive and make the tank my own. I am a sponge for new information and I know some of you guys have been successful longer than I have been alive. I greatly appreciate your help, advice, and wisdom.

- Winflakes

I would dip the new corals as you said and place them in the DT. Then start the clock on the fallow period. The ich parasite will be starved off and your beneficial bacteria will still be intact. With full or partial breakdown you are risking having the tank go through a new cycle after your fish goes back in.

I would dip the new corals as you said and place them in the DT. Then start the clock on the fallow period. The ich parasite will be starved off and your beneficial bacteria will still be intact. With full or partial breakdown you are risking having the tank go through a new cycle after your fish goes back in.

I plan on leaving the dipped corals in the quarantine tank to observe for a week or two for hatching eggs. I may dip a second time after a few weeks to be sure. Because of this and the Fallow period for the DT, i plan on having them in quarantine for 76 days as well. It may be overkill, but i really want to make sure I don't introduce anything to the system

All the other fish will need to be treated also before going back into the clean DT.

For sure. I plan on putting all of the fish, whether or not i see any Ich, into the TTM Quarantine.

I am heavily considering taking my existing corals, and fragging them and placing them in the QT with the new corals, and getting new dry rock during the fallow period. If I did that I'd be sure that there are no pests in the current set up. I don't know of any other way to be sure that I won't have any unwanted pests in my DT system.

Thanks for the Interest guys.

- Winflakes

Back