Moving House | Tank Restart?

willmoore88

I'm moving house soon and considering a few options with my 300L Reef.

I've recently battled Dino's, and although after months and months of hard work and getting rid of them, perhaps not surprisingly i've been left with a lot less livestock than I started with :sad2: and a tank overrun with GHA. The GHA was not a surprise but I'm not having much headway with that either now.

For a while I've wanted to make some major changes to the tank. After 3 years of Reef keeping I know alot more now than I did at the start. For starters my scape is two huge piles of Real Reef Rock which I no longer like the look of, my sand bed if filthy and way too thick, and i've got a BioBlock in the sump big enough to cope with my 300L despite having 25kg of the Real Reef Rock in the DT.

My original moving plan after discussing with a few people at my LFS was to temporarily house my remaining stock at my LFS, and move the tank, water and rock to the new house - setting back up, and pretty quickly getting my livestock back.

I think what i'd ideally like to do now is to rehouse the livestock, and empty the tank and restart it in the New Year - redoing the scape and getting it more asthetically set up as I want it. My issue therefore is what to do with my livestock.

I've got 2 x Clownfish, 1 Coral Beauty and 1 Leopard Wrasse. There are 2 shrimp and 2 crabs and maybe a snail or two hiding if the Dino's didn't get them. I've also got a Goni that I'd like to keep and a small leather. I feel it's a bit much to ask/expect my LFS to care for those for what will probably be a good 3 months before the tank could be ready again. I do have a small 40L tank which I could use for the time being - but i'm not sure if this would work with my current list above. I would really appreciate any opinions or ideas.

Thanks
Will

If you want to keep your livestock, the 40 should work fine as a temporary holding tank. If not, trade them for store credit at your LFS. This will help offset the cost of new sand and rock, etc.

I'd just swap them out for store credit. Realize that it won't be that much, but it'll be something.

Back