mpyers' first reef.

mpyers

This is a blog I'm going to start mostly because I'm bored at this very moment, and like all of us; Obsessed with my tank.

I have kept freshwater tanks for a long time. At one point I had 4 x 55 gallons and a 30gal going all at once. One held an Oscar. One was pretty with little tropical fish, one was for turtles, etc.

After getting rid of them one by one, I decided I would focus on one tank. A reef tank. I completely underestimated what I was getting myself into. This would have been in 2013, I went to an lfs and purchased sand, salt, a 48" single bulb T5 and took my goodies home. I set them next to my nicest 55gal, and didn't touch them again for two years. I'm positive that at one point my furnace when out and the sand would have been frozen solid with the little bit of water they keep in the bags. I didn't have the motivation to get started or the money to keep going once I started. Then I bought my first real house and my wife told me that I had to fill the thing with water or get rid of it. So that very day I used the garden hose to fill it with water, and I dumped the bag of salt and sand in it. I let it sit for about 6 more months. Nothing going on. Just sand salt and water.

Then one day I decided I should do something with it. So I went back to the lfs and got a couple powerheads because there was a visible separation of stagnant fresh and salt water. I asked them what I needed to do to get this thing going. They said that I should get a hydrometer, and a pH kit. Neither of which I did. Instead I got a live rock, a crab and a fish, and took them home to see how they would do. The fish died, but the crab lived. Then I took it more seriously. I realized that this wasn't freshwater anymore, you can't just set it and forget it. So I got the hydrometer, and the pH kit, and some buffer. I went home and got my water somewhat in line. I had this crazy brown algae so I thought that was a good sign. I asked the guy at the lfs and he said no its not good. I realized i couldn't leave my light on all the time like I could with freshwater. So I turned the light off for two weeks and let the stuff die. Then after taking things more seriously, I went back to the lfs with a water sample and confidence. My water was good, so I left home with a yellow tang and another couple pieces of live rock. The tang lived.

I bought a few more fish. A few clowns. Some more crabs. I put off doing water changes. I made failed attempts at saving money for better equipment. Then my neighbor showed me his reef that I didn't know he had. It was a beautiful 180gal mature reef. It is fantastic. With a whole closet dedicated to the sump and company. I was in awe. Then he gave me a frag. Just one.

Now I am hooked.

I took the frag home, and in a few days I realized that my setup wasn't enough. It was a devils hand mushroom. I started saving every penny, and researching every DIY i could find. I scoured the internet for every detail of marine life knowledge I can find. I may have been lazy in the start, but I am a scientist damn it and once I finally do put my mind to something I have to know how it works inside and out.

So a few more free frags later, lots of research, and some DIYing and today I am starting to get really excited about the possibility of shopping for my own corals soon.

I have purchased every test I can get ahold of (except phos.) the lfs was out, but I have some on amazon order. I have calcium and iodine supplements, because the ******* neighbor gave me a hydnophora which is way out of my league right now, but I am desparate not to lose it. My water has held steady for a month at 8.2 pH I want it a point higher but no luck so far, at least it is steady. KH is 180ppm and steady. Salinity is 1.024. Ammonia and nitrites are 0. Nitrates are my problem at the moment at 20.

My budget is TIGHT. So I have to DIY everything. I built a skimmer out of a small air pump I had already, and some PVC. It works. I have skimmate, and my nitrates have gone down from 40 to 20 in less than a week. Other than that I have two large HOB freshwater filters with carbon running all the time. I rinse out the filter cartridges every couple days and replace them every few weeks. I'll continue this until I can afford a real skimmer. I have my eyes on an HOB nano skimmer right now that is affordable, and I will go bigger once I get a sump set up.

For lighting I purchased chinese made LED components and drivers on amazon. Right now I have the original T5 I started with, a 30 watt 6000K LED chip, 900mA, and 10 x 3W 455nm Blue LED's. I just got a 100W 455nm blue LED today, but I am waiting on heat sink, driver, and lens for it before I can power it up.

Right now the lights and skimmer look like a science experiment on top of my tank. I am still going to order a few more 3W whites, and maybe a few purple, and a couple red and green. All lights are dimmable, and are going to be hooked up to a clickPLC that I got from work, where I can program all sorts of nice little settins. The usual sunrise and sunset, and a random chance at weather patterns.

Once I get the nano skimmer and a nice aluminum rail to neatly mount my lights on the top of the tank will look quite a bit nicer.

I have an RO/DI filter (4stage 50gpd) on the way now. It should eliminate my nitrate problem within a few quick waterchanges.

Next is the nano skimmer, then a waterpump for a sump and fuge. I work at an acrylic manufacturing plant, so I can get sheets to build the sump and fuge tanks once I have the pumps to run them. I am going to do a display fuge, aquascaped, with chaeto and mangroves, and as big of a sump as will fit under my 55gal.

Right now I have two clownfish, a yellow tang, a yellow watchman goby, a purple clawed daumi lobster, a peppermint shrimp, an assortment of crabs and snails, including one monster of a crab that is going to be banned to the sump when I get it. I have several devils hand's, a bubble mushroom, a yellow star polyp colony, a fresh aiptasia problem, another barely living mushroom coral (I say barely living because I thought it was dead when I got it, and the only reason I took it is for the devils hand attached to it, but last night it moved, curled up), and a hydnophora frag. My "dead mushroom curled up after being attacked by the monster crab. I don't know if that means he can be salvaged or not, but I am going to try. Also with the installation of my new blue lights today, I was able to notice several fluorescing spots all over him which are unmistakably offspring. Which is hopeul.

I have a cyano problem, but I am hoping with the new RO/DI, I can start doing frequent water changes, which will eliminate the nitrates and therefore cyano.

Because I work at the acrylic plant, I can get up to inch thick acrylic for free. at any size up to 120" width, and theoretically unlimited length. So my goal after this tank, is go bigger. I am going to do 1/2" thick probably 300-600gal. I am going to decide on a spot in the basement in the mancave and figure up the dimensions rather than pick a number of gallons. I will build a steel frame to support it and the corners, then do woodwork around the metal. my Company also produces acrylic mirrors, so I am going to do the sides of the tank in mirror, so it will create the illusion of a never ending reef.

With the big tank I am going to use everything I have learned, and not put water in it until I am ready for it. I will have the sumps, pumps, fuges, skimmers, reactors, lights, etc. All in place before I ever put water in the thing, so that I can have a stress free start up.

I can't believe how I went from half assing everything to how obsessed I am right now. I spend hours doing research every night. Sometimes I have a hard time finding something new to research. I can't wait to get this tank stable, and start working on my new build.

Also, if anyone ever wants some acrylic, I would be willing to trade for some frags.

If anyone has any advice, so that I don't have to learn anything else the hard way, please share.

1. If ur budget is already tight how do you expect to afford a 300-600 gallon tank?
2. Nice work on the day skimmer. But since money is a concern then save up and get a real skimmer. Other wise get the Hob 2000 from reef octopus.
3. Get more rock. At least 25 lbs of good porous rock. There is no pound for gallon rule.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Use websites like bulk reef supply. They have good stuff on there. The Rodi will be the best investment ever.

I started out a lot like you. I even started with a 55 gallon. All the rock, fish and coral came from a lady getting rid of hers bc she had to move back home and was just setting up a temporary tank while she worked here.
After that I went and bought a 75 gallon and a 30 gallon sump tank. Had it for a few years and sold most of what I had before we bought the house. Now I'm almost ready to start a new tank and get back into it.

The 300-600 gal tank will be next to free. Because I can get free acrylic from work, I can build it myself. I'll have the cost of adhesive, and steel supports. Also, I'm not going to start it until I have all of the equipment ready to go. So it will be a long time, but the first part about hitting your goals is setting them.

I already said next on the list is a real skimmer. A nano skimmer. Like the HOB 2000.

Rock is also on the list. I get a piece of rock every time I go to the lfs. My nitrites and ammonia are 0 so the lack of rock doesn't concern me as much as the lack of real skimmer.

I got the rodi today. It is wonderful. Did a water change, and cleaned everything out while I was at it. Siphoned out all of the cyano. The tank looks beautiful. A little cloudy at the moment from me kicking up sand, but everything else looks wonderful.

I've been eyeballing several similar deals on craigslist. There is alwasy someone giving away a whole bunch of gear for like $500. That's probably how I am going to jumpstart the big tank once I have it built.

its all the other costs that start to really add up when doing a larger reef. Salt, lighting, water movement,return pumps, reactors/media, aqua controller, rock, skimmer, electric bill. I purchased a 320 gallon acrylic tank before I was ready to get financially invested into the rest of the system with the same plan as you, one piece at a time. Long story short I did some cost analysis and where my priorities were as far as budget, and being the type that can't do something half *** I decided to sell the tank and get a 120 and make it the best I can. I'm sure I'll have the large reef I want someday, but at least I'll know what kind of undertaking it will be.

Yea I got a friend that wants to start out and is ready to lay out almost $7k. I told him he's doing it wrong. Start small and go bigger. I would shoot for a 120 or 150 gallon tank. Even then buying equipment over time is OK at best. If u buy a piece at a time and then one of the pieces already being used breaks ur kinda screw and set back. Then u gotta buy salt, extra heaters filters carbon blocks and di resin, food. Is that 300-600 gallon tank going on concrete? What about the electric bill for something like that? What if u go to work one day and the power goes out as soon as u leave the house and you don't know about it until u come home? Total tank crash and rebuild right there. Plumbing parts, lights, test kits, refractometer calibration fluid and all that crappie adds up. A other thing you got to think about is if that equipment is setting around for a few years then that's no good when u go to plug it up and it don't work ur screwed bc there's no warranty left.

What I'm saying is that you need to really thing about such an investment. One of the things keeping me from getting my tank back together is the electric bill itself. I don't want to pay more then I do now.

Yes the tank is going on concrete. I understand the undertaking. This is a several year plan. I will have all the parts. All the details. The skimmers, reactors, heaters, chillers, LEDs, backup generator, clickPLC, push notification alerts, pumps, all plumbed, money for rock and sand comes last. I'm an engineer, I understand the cost analysis. I should have mentioned I'm not going to be poor forever. I'm just in a lot of short-term debt. I bought my first house, cars, student loans etc. Everything but the house will be paid off in 3 years. I'll have money for the upkeep when the time comes, Its the slow step by step start up that will test my patience. I got in over my head on this one because I got corals before I even had an RODI. The next one I will be prepared.

Also, realized I have a copepod population starting today. Found a few hiding out. Which is good news because I am hoping to get a mandarin dragonet.

Please do not put a Mandarin in that current tank you have. I think you are getting there but get all your stuff 1st BEFORE you begin adding anything else to your current tank. Sump, better lighting, the skimmer you have spoken about, test kits etc. Good luck

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Oh trust me I am a ways from actually getting him. I just realized I won't have a hard time getting a solid copepod population going. I won't be able to get him until I have a fuge to keep up the copepod population.

So what is everyone's opinion on priority? Say I have $200 a month I can spend on new items for the tank. So basically one thing at a time crossing my fingers everything doesn't spiral out of control in the mean time. Keeping in mind Some things will take quite a bit longer to get than others. In what order should I get the following:

Better Test Kits (Refractometer instead of hydrometer, syringe style titration kits etc.)
Sump
Refugium
Skimmer
Lighting
Additives
Rock
Reactors
Other

Update. I got a Coralife 125 SuperSkimmer, decided on this for price, and because it can be both HOB for now, and in-sump when I get a sump running. Should be here within the next few days. Can't wait to get it running.

So I have upgraded to a 65 gallon reef ready with a 30 gallon sump. It is AMAZING! I'm in love. Not a huge upgrade. But i got it with everything i needed for $250! Couldn't pass that up! I've also got a while bunch more corals. My tank is coming together very well. Water parameters are exactly what i want them to be. Everything in the tank is happy and growing! :)
64f3d888c43bc7465d6836b6990f52df.jpg
8316f62949d2c68eef97ed1dcc1258dc.jpg

Btw. If anyone notices some of the corals in the picture look less than happy it's because they are rescuses that are showing signs of improvement

Back