MY 50 Gallon Cadlights Artisan II reef tank build

Cheebs

Howdy all,

I've been in the hobby for many years now, and I've upgraded and downgraded many times based on moving, finances and all that jazz, but I finally pulled the trigger on a setup that I had been eyeing for a long time. I really enjoy the look of rimless cubes, and when the Artisan II went on sale I couldn't resist.

I am located in Ottawa, Canada, so getting a tank shipped from California was a little nerve-racking, but it came in perfect shape!

Here are a few pics from when it arrived, to where I'm at today:

M3fQwfBl.jpg

zhD6Cw3l.jpg

vpfmENIl.jpg

So things are beginning to cycle now! I am working on a fish list. So far my ideas include:

Firefish (Purple or helfrichi)
Flame Angel
Maroon pair I've had for roughly 9 years (I will have to wait for the tank to be nice and stable as they are with their S.Gigantea)
Yasha or Yellow Goby + Pistol Shrimp
Six Line Wrasse (or another wrasse alternative)

As for equipment, this is what I currently have:

CADlights 50 Galoon aquairum, stand, sump +plumbing
160g CADlights skimmer
Ecotech Radion Gen 2 LED light
Vortech MP40w (my christmas gift to myself, it's on the way)

I built the aquascape with roughly 60 lbs of live rock, and have more rock in the sump. Now is the waiting game! I hope to come back with an update soon.

If anyone has any advice or comments, they would be welcome. I'll leave you with a couple shots of my former/current setups:

FFqBJ0Il.jpg

d0z887Ul.jpg

Thanks for looking, be back soon!

Thanks! I added a little food to the tank to get the cycle started. I am apprehensive about adding water from my holding tank to quicken things, as there is bubble algae and aiptasia in there. I imagine I could contaminate my current tank, so I'll just have to be patient.

Howdy all,

I've been in the hobby for many years now, and I've upgraded and downgraded many times based on moving, finances and all that jazz, but I finally pulled the trigger on a setup that I had been eyeing for a long time. I really enjoy the look of rimless cubes, and when the Artisan II went on sale I couldn't resist.

I am located in Ottawa, Canada, so getting a tank shipped from California was a little nerve-racking, but it came in perfect shape!

Here are a few pics from when it arrived, to where I'm at today:

M3fQwfBl.jpg

zhD6Cw3l.jpg

vpfmENIl.jpg

So things are beginning to cycle now! I am working on a fish list. So far my ideas include:

Firefish (Purple or helfrichi)
Flame Angel
Maroon pair I've had for roughly 9 years (I will have to wait for the tank to be nice and stable as they are with their S.Gigantea)
Yasha or Yellow Goby + Pistol Shrimp
Six Line Wrasse (or another wrasse alternative)

As for equipment, this is what I currently have:

CADlights 50 Galoon aquairum, stand, sump +plumbing
160g CADlights skimmer
Ecotech Radion Gen 2 LED light
Vortech MP40w (my christmas gift to myself, it's on the way)

I built the aquascape with roughly 60 lbs of live rock, and have more rock in the sump. Now is the waiting game! I hope to come back with an update soon.

If anyone has any advice or comments, they would be welcome. I'll leave you with a couple shots of my former/current setups:

FFqBJ0Il.jpg

d0z887Ul.jpg

Thanks for looking, be back soon!

What's that big hairy thing in the back that looks like a toadstool?

Dang.

I'll never know how you guys keep nems and corals in the same tank. I had to get rid of my BTA cause the thing kept splitting and crawling all over the place stinging the crap out of what small amount of coral I have.

That's amazing.

Thanks!

Some BTAs seem very prone to splitting, even with decent conditions, so it can be tough. I've had to re-aquascape based on anemone movements a few times, but the carpet generally stays still (and doesn't split, obviously).

Back