My go at making my own Fish Food

YoYoel16

Hello everyone,
so I got inspired by a fellow reefer that I have in my Chem 2 Lab that happens to make his own fish food, he even makes a separate batch just for his corals and his tank is outstanding! Knowing myself, I took this idea and ran with it and this is what I came up with

ca544d1a808783598883e872ee6bfa20.jpg

What you see there is everything that I usually feed, not everything in the same day of course, but what I feed throughout the week.

if this means anything, I'll go through how many cubes I used of each and what my steps where (all the water that I used throughout this process what RO/DI and I had everything thawing before mixing and blending)

From left to right

"¢ Two Silversides, without any skin or spines
"¢ About a handful of Frozen Krill
"¢ From the Saltwater Pack I added,
"¢ 2 cubes of Marine Cuisine
"¢ 2 of Emerald Entree
"¢ 2 of Omega Brine Shrimp
"¢ 2 of Squid
"¢ 2 Spirulina Brine Shrimp cubes
"¢ 1 cube of Plankton
"¢ 1 of Emerald Entree for the tangs
"¢ About 2 inches of the Coral Reef Banquet
"¢ 1 cube of Pacific Krill
"¢ 4 cubes of Gut Loaded Brine Shrimp
"¢ All topped off with 10 squirts of Garlic X

The Marine Grazer I use for snacks from time to time and the LPS Max I'll be using for when I make some food for the corals

After a lot of mixing and blending together and thawing for a while I got a pasty, smelly, goooing thing that my fish will hopefully love!

2b61d7ef51d6851682a20af2a2620e98.jpg

1ce9cdb72fbc523bba24cb2d9bb2529b.jpg

I bought the small ice cube trays on Amazon and labeled it fish food just in case something goes terribly bad with someone's drink haha

I plan on feeding three of these a day, one around 11 am, 4-5 pm and one around 9pm

b0578bc4f43a90387b1052cc461a4f61.jpg

The food is in the freezer as I'm writing this up and I really hope the fish would enjoy it today; I felt on the fence about feeding such a big bio load at once but I feel comfortable enough with my Curve 7 that I think it should hold up; I also felt pretty edgy on what food to use and what my fish really liked so I when the safe route and just used what I've been feeding them for about 4 months.

I'll be sure to post some videos and keep everyone who is interested in knowing how everything goes from here on out posted,

I'd appreciate any experience in doing anything remotely close to this and any help or opinion is always welcomed!

Best regards,
Yoel

I use the cube tray also, works great. For your next batch, go to the grocery store and get live clams, oysters, and some shrimp and Salmon. Lose the garlic, it does nothing and is bad for the livers and hearts of the fish in the long term.

My go at making my own Fish Food

I use the cube tray also, works great. For your next batch, go to the grocery store and get live clams, oysters, and some shrimp and Salmon. Lose the garlic, it does nothing and is bad for the livers and hearts of the fish in the long term.

For the clams, oysters and shrimp do you blend them in some way or you do something else?

And thanks for the heads up with the garlic, I've been adding it with every feeding for about six years and always thought it boosted immune systems, would like to hear more on the dangers if you don't mind?
Thanks,
Yoel

Wow! Thank you very much!! Great info! And on my next batch I'll be sure to buy some more goodies to add to the food

Back