My new canopy and refugium setup...

clintrandall

I know I've created three new threads today, but I promise I'm not trying to be annoying. I figured someone might be interested in my new setup. I appreciate seeing how other people do things! I'm also thrilled to finally have a convenient canopy and viewable refugium.

I will briefly explain the pictures from left to right, starting with the top row:

TOP LEFT TO RIGHT: (1) I started with my one-piece acrylic canopy that I hated. I had to turn the whole thing on end to get into the tank, even for feeding. (2) This is the new canopy. I used basic BC plywood to save on cost. It was a bit of a pain to do a corner canopy, but it came out ok. (3) Obviously, putting in a hinged door is a lifesaver! Additives, feeding, etc can now be done with ease. (4) Borrowing an idea from Durwin's canopy, I made the front piece with the door in it removable to do bigger work. It slides straight up and out. (5) The top of the canopy hinges up so that I can work without removing the canopy.

BOTTOM LEFT TO RIGHT: (1) I placed my fuge on a high shelf next to the canopy. I wanted to be able to see it and I also wanted to gravity feed to the tank so that's why it's up high. My corner stand is also a little crammed. (2) The pipe going from the fuge to the canopy. I couldn't do this with the acrylic canopy because I had to lift the whole thing to get in the tank. (3) The pipe going into the canopy. (4) The overflow going into the tank. (5) The end of the pipe sticking in the tank. The end fitting is now actually a "T" so that air can escape, which cuts down bubbles into the tank. On the back of the tank, you can see the small pump that feeds the refugium. I put it near the top of the tank to get more nutrients.

88872canopy_and_fuge_setup-med.jpg

For the larger view, the pic is here in my gallery.

Clint

Those look great. I like the hinged door idea where you can lift the whole canopy. I want to be able to do the same with a canopy I am going to build. I really don't like the door swing out idea too much. My head tends to bump into those things.

Good work. Very nice. I think your tank is going to be great. If you want more starter SPS frags, let me know. I got some I can give ya.

Thanks Van. Let me know if you want any help! Building stuff is fun. ;o)

I've got 5 starter SPS now, but since I only have 1 250W MH over my deep tank, I have to keep them all pretty high. When I add another halide, I can probably do more SPS and scatter them a bit.

Thanks!
Clint

Back