My nutty reef octopus skimmer

Specfishin

I have a reef octopus int 150 skimmer running in my current 75g setup. It's skimmed awesome and then skimmed little, then just overflowed. Cleaning around in sump or change a sock , tiny bump into it and loses a full bubbly body full of skimmable bubbles. Then doesn't go back to where it was. No changes in height/ water level/ chemicals. Just random wackiness. Just cleaned it thoroughly 2 weeks ago. Checked impeller, looks good. Air line... Fantastic! I've had it with this thing!:blown:
So where should I be looking for a better skimmer for my 125? Brand/ price/ quality? I know the RO skimmer seemed good but its an economy skimmer and I believe in the "you get what you pay for" statement. I also believe its not 100% effective as my nitrates won't budge below 15-25 depending on if its working and doing it's job. But that is speculation on my part and coincidence as I've not kept a thorough log of parameters. Any guidance is welcomed and suggestions on something for the new build.

Well, I figured I'd give it a thorough vinegar cleaning in an igloo cooler. I first blasted it with a hose and reassembled added ro water and vinegar. Turned it on and it was acting goofy like usual. Except kind of surging. So I raised water level and then it happened! I reached in and bam! I think I got a mild shock. So being familiar with electricity and it's fun and mystery I said to myself maybe that was just my cuticle on my finger burning from vinegar? Second reach in... Nope definitely shocking me. Soooo.... I'm looking for a pump or a whole protein skimmer now.:uhoh3: I'm still laughing about it. But brings me to the safety factor of being prepared for the unknown. Make sure you're working after a gfci protected outlet or circuit. This could've been way worse for me if it was a direct fault and the ground was wet where I was standing. I was barefoot mind you in the garage. Happy reefing! I'm going to pop some tops now, calling it a night.

Fwiw it was 78 volts on the voltmeter. I may have never noticed it before on the dt because of the wood floors and insulation. I'm looking at a couple of places and if its no go I may contact you clownman727.

Thats a good voltage leak lol, let me know if you want to get rid of it ill find a replacement pump some time down the road

Back