My Rose Bubble Tip Anemone ok?

JDApple

Was wondering if my rbta is too stressed out from hosting a clownfish. The tentacles are starting to look smaller and some have tiny shriveled tips. I have had him for 2 months and only started to feed him, a small piece of krill every other 3 days, around a week ago. The female clown has been hosting since the second day I got him. The clown still likes to swim around so she isn't in the rbta all the time. All my other corals are doing fantastic. Should I start to be concerned with anything?

IMG_0991.JPG.jpg

Current Tank specs:
"¢ 60G with 10G sump
"¢ sump has protein skimmer, and carbon reactor
"¢ tank is 10 months old
"¢ 50lbs live rock

Lighting:
"¢ 2 165w galaxyhydro led black boxes
° Whites @ 45% and Blues @ 55%

Water Conditions:
"¢ ideal
"¢ 78.0°F
"¢ salinity around 1.024 and 1.025
"¢ 5 gallon water changes weekly

Fish:
"¢ Clarkii Clownfish Pair
"¢ Small Hippo Tang (upgrading to min. 5' tank in 5 months)
"¢ Royal Gramma
"¢ Marine Betta
"¢ Aiptasia Filefish

Stop feeding the krill and give it some time to respond.

Nems don't need feeding, just good light and flow along with stable parameters.

Edit:

Listing water conditions as "ideal" means nothing to anyone reading that is trying to help you.

Alk?
mg?
ca?
nitrate?
PO4?

My bad

Water Parameters as of 1/17/17:
KH: 8 dKH
Nitrates: 20ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Ph: 8.0
Salinity: 1.024-1.025

Stop feeding the krill and give it some time to respond.

Nems don't need feeding, just good light and flow along with stable parameters.

Edit:

Listing water conditions as "ideal" means nothing to anyone reading that is trying to help you.

Alk?
mg?
ca?
nitrate?
PO4?
From everything I have read, you need to feed the anemone.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Today was his feeding day, and before I fed him his piece of krill i realized his mouth was a little puffy. After he took the krill his mouth has been normal and flat all day.

From everything I have read, you need to feed the anemone.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Yep, its a pretty mixed bag there.

Some people directly feed their nems and some people just let their nems catch whatever food is floating around when feeding fish.

From what i understand is nems get more out of their photo period than meaty foods.

Meaty foods are normally later expelled anyway ime

I have 12 rainbow bubble tips in a pond basket in a tied in frag tray and every once in a great while i will give them some fortified mysis because they don't get anything from feeding the fish.

every 3 days sounds a bit much. anemones need good water parameters. ur tank has a heavy bioload with all the feeding. how big is the betta?

The Marine Betta is roughly 4in in length. I feed the fish every other day and the marine betta gets fed a small krill or a very small chunk of rods food alternating every other day.

RBTA doing a lot better!!

RBTA doing a lot better!!

I wanted to document and share what has been going on with my anemone. I still don't know the exact cause of what made him stress out the way he did but he has gotten a lot better.

So I figured maybe something in the water wasn't right. I started doing 5 gallon water changes every 4 days and making sure to do a little more wet skim in my skimmer. I kept the salinity as close to 1.026 as I could and kept the calcium stable at 440 and kh at 10. I also kept feeding him a piece of krill, about 1-1.5cm in length, every 2-3 days. They were very small pieces compared to his mouth and I let the tentacles bring in the food. My black box led settings are: Blue @ 70% and Whites @ 35%. This gave him just under 500 par. The lights are on for 11 hours and then I have moon lights stay on for couple more.

I took pictures every week. I could see he was improving so I kept doing the same routine.

It has been 3 weeks since I started this post and he has been improving everyday since. The picture of him below is of him tonight just after I fed him. His bubbles and his color is also getting better everyday as well.

I hope this might help someone down the road that has an unhappy rbta.

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2
The nem looks great.
I still think you're feeding him too much though.
I have a couple, I typically feed them every 3 weeks or so, and not much.
They just don't need all that food.

RBTA require zero feeding. It generally can cause undue stress, even death by feeding them.

Proper lighting and water quality is all that is needed.

These are not carpet anemones.

I've had 4 for over 8 years and not a single one has been fed in 8 years.

I wanted to document and share what has been going on with my anemone. I still don't know the exact cause of what made him stress out the way he did but he has gotten a lot better.

So I figured maybe something in the water wasn't right. I started doing 5 gallon water changes every 4 days and making sure to do a little more wet skim in my skimmer. I kept the salinity as close to 1.026 as I could and kept the calcium stable at 440 and kh at 10. I also kept feeding him a piece of krill, about 1-1.5cm in length, every 2-3 days. They were very small pieces compared to his mouth and I let the tentacles bring in the food. My black box led settings are: Blue @ 70% and Whites @ 35%. This gave him just under 500 par. The lights are on for 11 hours and then I have moon lights stay on for couple more.

I took pictures every week. I could see he was improving so I kept doing the same routine.

It has been 3 weeks since I started this post and he has been improving everyday since. The picture of him below is of him tonight just after I fed him. His bubbles and his color is also getting better everyday as well.

I hope this might help someone down the road that has an unhappy rbta.

Looks great! That's a lot of par from those black boxes, are you guessing at that or do you have a meter? I bet those water changes really helped, I see earlier you said params were ideal, but nitrates at 20 certainly aren't, bet they are lower now after the frequent WC.

Back