My steel stand project

five.five-six

Just picked up a new to me 225 peninsula tank 72L X 30W X 24H. It needs a stand and it seems that building a steel stand is only marginally more expensive than one of wood in comparison to strength and utility.

I have some experience welding, fence repairs and the like with my flux core wire feed welder but I also have access to a 300 amp MIG, which is what I would be using for this project.

I am thinking I would use 2" square tube but I really have no idea what thickness or type of steel. The design, I think will just be a rectangle with cross members for the top connected with 6 posts to a bottom rectangle and probably 6 adjustable feet.

I live in a seismic zone 4 arena so I will be adding gussets. I am thinking that if I recess the gussets just right, I will be able to skin the stand with Masonite or other suitable thin material position magnets to attaché to the gussets without having to use a thicker material and recesses the magnets into the removable panels.

Is powder coating a must or are there paint options? I have heard you can finish it with truckbed liner.

Depending on the specifics of the design 2 x 2 x 16ga could be used without issue.
When in doubt and weight is not an issue throw 11ga at it.. ;)

You can certainly powdercoat it.. (expect a couple hundred to do so though)..

And yes you can certainly do it yourself for under $100 in spray paint/bed liner..
Self etching primer to start followed by the finish of your choice RustOleum or whatever color you like.. Bed liner would be fine too.. I use that process for the rocksliders, bumpers, etc... that I've welded for my Jeeps and it takes a beating...
Any sprayed finish can easily take exposure to anything from this hobby..

I think I’m going to do the top frame and corner posts in 2” X 3” 12 gauge Everything else (bottom frame, center posts and cross members) will be 2” X 2” 14 gauge.

I have decided to do the verticle members in 2X3 #12 that way they can catch part of both top members and not rely so much on the weld.

With 2X3 #12 spanning 72” will I need a center support? If so, can I make it removable for occasional mantinance?

Where are those pictures?

Mostly in this thread

NPkVpV.jpg

8LbP1q.jpg

qZxUXT.jpg

P4g6Um.jpg

lbDECc.jpg

uQWJ2v.jpg

4RN35s.jpg

t9Qqk1.jpg

5DYd2M.jpg

That thread has lots of descriptions of how I designed, fabricated and finished this stand. This thread just didn't get much interest at the time

Back