Nano reef new

kevan

just closing down a large tank with remote sump
5foot 7in long 27 in H and 30 wide .
Going to a small all in one 2 foot cube but 6 in sump added onto back .
that is the plan has anyone got any advise .
Will be SPS and possibly LPS (already have SPS from large tank sold a lot off but few bits left over) and just few fish Gobies and maybe clowns shrimps etc.
Heaters will be in back and maybe a protein skimmer (my old one is way too big) just going to have a return pump ehiem 1260 and a small Tunz wave maker .
If any one has tried something similar would like advise before I get tank made .
old tank below

please can i have some feed back

please can i have some feed back

with small tank (not sure if two foot cube is nano ) with small bioload
goby shrimp hermit crab couple of small clowns and maybe potters or fire angel do in need a skimmer .

That's similar dimensions to my Solana 34g aio. I've been running a mixed reef reef with only a skimmer and chaeto for filtration in the back. I have 5 nano fish and a cleanup crew:. Yellow watchman, flame hawk, a pair of Picasso clowns and one red scooter blenny. My system is really stable.

My other equipment is ah heater, auto top off, jebao wavemaker in the front and then the return pump from the back chambers to the front.

I'm really happy with the system and it's fairly low maintenance. I buy my water for top of and water change from the fish store a little less than once a month and don't need to deal with mixing my own water or getting an ro/di system.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Your idea for your new tank sounds good. With a separated back chamber, I'd think about running a refugium on a reverse light cycle. Skimmers are okay at this level, but if I had the space and convenience, I'd rather just grow algae and throw it away as needed. You could definitely keep a dwarf angel (or a few, if doing a harem). You could also grow plenty of SPS corals if you stay on top of your parameters.

Also, a 2'x2' cube would be almost 60 gallons, so definitely not a nano. But still a super cool sounding tank. (nano is <45 gallons, usually).

My current tank is 20"x20"x18", (29g biocube), and I have an angel, two clowns, a small hawkfish, and a blenny. I'm skmming, dosing vodka, and have been dosing 2 part calcium/alkalinity since the beginning. I've grown a number of SPS corals from 0.5"-1" nubs into full colonies in the range of 4"x4" (or more). Its HARD though. Requires a lot more effort than I'm willing to put in. But I think a simple algae scrubber or refugium would help, as does a skimmer. Everything you can do would help. The biggest thing (as you likely know from your old tank) is flow though. Flow is more important than lighting.

have lots on wave makers from old tank Tunz x 2 and Jabao 60 which does 20000 litres.
may be a bit much for a small tank .
return Pump will do will do 2400 litres (Eheim 1260)
protine skimmer mine is too big so selling and thinking of either
Deltec SC1351 or Reef Octopus NWB 110,

thanks for info any chance of showing the sump area and what type of skimmer ?
I'll take a photo when I get home. I have the aquamax hob-1 skimmer, which I love. I believe it's actually rated for a higher capacity tank (75g).

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

thanks for info any chance of showing the sump area and what type of skimmer ?
Here's some pictures of the fuge area. The left two chambers I pulled all the media out and just have chaeto. I got the hob skimmer hanging behind there. The right side I have the other equipment: heater, ato, return pump.

I also included a pic of the front. The only thing I put in the front is the jebao wavemaker for flow. The tanks been running 2 years. I can grow sps,lps and softies.
0b6168fce375a64b4bfdb0e308891073.jpg
b9c6b98f1efff285579d6c77ace5a708.jpg
9e819744e60617734b7d891d79d832b3.jpg
1614d79ef4ce4bc378338aa38438297c.jpg

Back