Need help/advice ASAP! (Achilles tang)

ErosJN

Hey guys my girlfriend picked up an achilles while I was at work today and dropped him in the tank (noon) as a surprise. The powder brown went to town on him, by the time I got home tonight (8 pm) the Achilles looked like his dorsal fin and bottom fin was repeatedly sliced by a pair of scissors, with a few bite marks on the body. I immediately moved the achilles to the 75 gallon sump with the return pipes pushing a lot of water and an additional power head there's quite a bit of current. He's eaten a small amount of home made fish food, and is swimming around good. I get off work early tomorrow so I'd like to swap the brown to the sump and get the Achilles into the 210. Is this a good idea? Also will the fins regenerate? I went to the LFS and purchased melafix and stress coat. The protein skimmer is now off and the aquarium is dosed. Any help/advice would be appreciated!

That will be a tough pair to combine as you can see. The only way you will eventually get them to get along is to make a isolated area in the 210 so the powder can see and get used to the Achilles and not fight each other. ie: Like a cage.

Me personally I would let the Achilles heal and potentially consider either removing one or the other completely. Not worth the stress on the animals.

Thanks for the response guys. So far he's doing alright. Summing around the 75 sump. I attempted to feed today but like yesterday he ate minimal. It's better than nothing but I'd be really happy if he eats more and tries the algae sheets. Any food recommendations for these tangs?

Back