Need help with CaRx vs Dosing 2-Part

cprice

I know this gets re-hashed about as often as LED vs T5, but hear me out:

I currently have a 150 gal DT with an additional 140ish gallons in my sump/fuge/frag tanks, so about 300g total.

(Build thread if interested:http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2559937)

I have a mostly SPS tank with about 30-35 different frags right now, most are 2-3 inches. I am getting to the point where I want to automate the supplements. I am just now setting up an APEX and would be using the APEX DOS if I decide to go with the dosing route. If I go with the CaRx I would probably be looking at a dual chamber Reef Octopus skimmer or something similar.

Dosing seems to be easy to dial in, can be controlled via the Apex or simply through the doser if I go with another brand of pump. My main concern with the 2-part method (or 3 part because I would does Mag) would be the recurring cost of the additives.

A CaRx is expensive to setup initially, but i have heard that in the long run, for a tank my size, it should cost less. I also don't mind the complicated setup as I enjoy complex systems and have a firm grasp on how the reactors work. I also like the idea that both Ca and Alk are added in the correct ratios, along with trance elements that may not be available in the 2-part. I also like the idea that I don't have to refill a reservoir each week or so with more supplement chemicals. I like "set it and forget it".

I also have a nice Kalk Reservoir with automatic stirring that I can use to supplement either method.

I just want to make sure that I thoroughly think this through before dropping some cash on a nice CaRx setup.

A few things about my system:

Heavily SPS stocked with a few nice Acan Colonies, Zoas, a Torch, Green Goni and a green/purple Hammer.

Total system volume: ~300 Gallons
New lights to be installed this week: 3 Radion XR15s and 4 T5 ATI bulbs
Chinese Blackboxes for my fuge and frag tanks
Bubble Magus Curve 9 Skimmer with auto neck cleaner
DeepWater DC12 Return
Chinese Blackboxes for my fuge and frag tanks
60 Gallon Fuge
20 Gallon Frag Tank
75 Gallon Sump

Current Params:

Temp: Daily swing from ~77.5F to ~79.5F
Calc: 445 ppm
Alk: 8.5 dkh
Mag: 1800 ppm (recently raised to kill of bryopsis. Worked! Will be bringing back down to 1450 ppm)
Ph: 7.7 (working on raising it to 8.3)

TIA!

" recurring cost of the additives. " is not really a problem if you buy in bulk. You can buy calcium chloride, mag flake , epsom salt and baking soda. On the reactor you are still going to have to buy calcium media, dolomite and CO2 for your reactor. It just comes down to if you want to spend time mixing additives or not.

I have a 600 gallon system and use 2 part. I buy it in 5 gallon pails.Currently it lasts for over 2 months.I use Apex DOS for the 2 part.Eventually I think it will only last a month or so, but there will never be any additional dosing necessary. Just mix up a pail (5 minutes,tops) drop in the draw tube and you forget about it.

Back