Need macro input for a 13" aquafuge

sharpy98

In Memoriam
My small aquafuge should be arriving in the next few days and I am trying to decide on what types and how much macro to add to it looking for input. I am planning on getting some Chaetomorpha but not sure how much. I am also not sure what if any other alges to put in there. I dont want anything that may go a-sexual. The reason I bouth the fuge was to breed pods in for a manderin but I also would like to use it for nutrient export as much as I can. TIA

Just bumping you up and folllowing along. I'm in the same boat, any recommendations for a 'fuge kit for a small aquafuge, and vendors, would be great.

Chaeto grows like mad under decent lights. I've never had much success with halimeda. No experience with ulva. The best exporter i've used so far has been feather caulerpa.

I've just sent an e-mail to Inland Aquatics to see what they recommend for a small Aquafuge. I'll post their response once I get it.

hi hubris007, wat decent lighting would u suggest for chaeto? mine kept melting or become brittle under 2x 55watt pl 6000k. pls advice....:)

Mine's under 2x250 coral sun halides. about 8 inches. Have some growing toward the top of my main tank, which is lit with 400W 20KK halide. I even had some growing at the very top of my rubbermade sump about 4 inches under my 2x65W smartlight. It's getting to plague proportions in my fuge now, going to have to start thinning it to keep from outcompeting the caulerpa.

Sharpy98,

Here's the e-mail reply from Inland Aquatics. Seems they have several options for our small Aquafuges. I'll be placing an order from them once my tank cycles and I have a clean-up crew:

Chuck:

In a message dated 1/24/04 10:35:43 AM Central Standard Time, writes:
Your company comes highly recommended from several members at Reef Central. I am currently in the process of cycling a 65 gallon reef. I have purchased a CPR small Aquafuge that is up and running on the back of the tank. It will be lit with a 13W Jalli brand compact fluorescent on a reverse photoperiod from the main tank. I currently have about 2.5 lbs. of "live sand" from Gulf-View and about 3 golf-ball sized chunks of Fiji LR rubble in it. I know this refugium is extremely small compared to some, but would still like to try to use it to its full potential once my cycle is complete.
Sounds good.
Which of your products do you recommend for a refugium this small (in case you are not familiar, it only holds about 2.5 gallons of water and the actual propagation area is only about 7.5 to 8" long, 4" wide and about 10" high depending on how deep the sand is). I am definitely interested in growing 'pods
You can buy our creatures individually; however you get a significant discount when buying the

Refugium Fauna Starter Kit @ $70

We recommend this kit for up to 55 gallons, but it was originally indended for small refugia, such as yours.

I also recommend you add a pound of

Microvert Starter Culture @$9.99/lb

This is a great way to seed the micro critters that are not found in our Det. Kit, but are equally beneficial to your sand bed.
and maybe having some nutrient export, however slight, through the use of algae (I understand Chaeto. sp. is a preferred type). Any recommendations and comments would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know that Chaetomorpha is the preferred type. We have several species that work well as nutrient export species. If you do go with Chaeto., you will either need to use it only, or be very dilagent about harvesting it before it smothers the other species...

Good macros for nutrient export include:

Caulerpa brachypus $ 9.99/small bag
Chaetomorpha $14.99/small bag (Limited to one bag per order)
Clumping Valonia $ 6.99/small bag or $12.99/large bag
Ulva $ 9.99/small bag or $14.99/large bag

I highly recommend using Biotrace ($12.99/8 oz, $36.99/32 oz, $89.99/Gallon) to stimulate good macroalgae growth. It is a single dose (twice weekly) trace element that we found to be superior to others, including the stuff we were making at the time. It will benefit all of the soft corals, mushrooms, zooanthids and macroalgae in your system. It is the only additive I recommend using, aside from something to manage your calcium/alkalinity.

Thanks for your time. (I am not opposed to emptying my 'fuge of its current contents to replace with your innoculated sand if you think that would be beneficial - I have yet to see any critters in the "live sand" that is currently in it.)
You need not remove anything. You can expect to get very little survival, beyond that of the beneficial bacteria, With any "live sand" that has to be in transit for more than six hours. As such, live sand should only be purchased to seed the bacterial bed in a new tank/expansion situation. Seeding the critters is best done with kits such as our Detritivore or Refugium Fauna Starter Kit and/or the MicroVert Starter Culture.

The MicroVert Starter Culture ($9.99/lb) contains a variety of substrates, from detritus to rock rubble, harvested from a variety of systems in our production facility. These substrates provide a variety of micro critters not found in our Detritivore Kit, but equally beneficial to your sand bed. These include a variety of worms, nematodes, MicroDozers, copepods and marine larvae. Unlike the critters in the Detritivore and Refugium Kits, a hand lense or dissecting scope is required to view the contents of this culture.

Thanks for supporting Inland Mariculture!

Please call, fax or e-mail if you have any questions, or if there is anything else I can do to be of service.

Sincerely:
Morgan Lidster

Facility Manager
Aquatic Technologies, Inc./
Aquatic Education, Inc./
Inland Aquatics
Phone: (812) 232-9000
Fax: (928) 395-9434
www.inlandaquatics.com

Back