Need some help, Bayer dipping for dummies

nathan1986

Okay so I've never Bayer dipped. But want to dip some sps that I have. I picked up some Bayer complete insect killer (the bottle everyone buys) and I'm reading that some people measure x amount of water to x amount of Bayer and that some just pour the Bayer in the water until it's cloudy. I'm curious as to how everyone on here does their Bayer dips. Thanks in advance, Nathan

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I use 10ml of Bayer for 2 cups tank water. I set up 3 containers. 1st with the Bayer/tank water and the 2 others with just enough tank water to cover what I'm dipping. I let the coral(s) sit in the Bayer water for 10-15 minutes while I scrub the plug with a toothbrush and squirt off with the syringe or turkey baster. I squirt water on the coral itself but don't scrub with the brush. I then go to the 2nd and swish the coral every few minutes for about 10 minutes and then go to the 3rd and do the same thing. I then look over the coral and plug over with a magnifying glass to make sure I didn't miss any eggs. This method has worked great for me. I have even removed the coral from the original plug and glue on a new one after dipping.

I use 10ml of Bayer for 2 cups tank water. I set up 3 containers. 1st with the Bayer/tank water and the 2 others with just enough tank water to cover what I'm dipping. I let the coral(s) sit in the Bayer water for 10-15 minutes while I scrub the plug with a toothbrush and squirt off with the syringe or turkey baster. I squirt water on the coral itself but don't scrub with the brush. I then go to the 2nd and swish the coral every few minutes for about 10 minutes and then go to the 3rd and do the same thing. I then look over the coral and plug over with a magnifying glass to make sure I didn't miss any eggs. This method has worked great for me. I have even removed the coral from the original plug and glue on a new one after dipping.
Thanks for the insight. The 3 container thing I've read and plan on doing. And your measurements are helpful as well. I've watched a few videos and read a few threads and seems like everyone has their own way of doing it. I'd rather take suggestions/help from here than YouTube. No offense to the YouTube people either lol

Just dump it in until it's cloudy and leave it for 10-15 mins, swish it around and rinse off and youre good. No reason at all to measure out the amount. I've dipped hundreds of acros this way and never lost one to dipping.

Wear rubber gloves if it hasn't already been mentioned. It can mess you up. If I forget my lips get numb quickly. Can't be good. Probably why it is being removed from the market.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys! It's always better when you get a little reassurance

And yes I'll be wearing gloves Rob. I know it's serious but your lip comment made me think of will Smith's lips in the movie hitched haha

Wear rubber gloves if it hasn't already been mentioned. It can mess you up. If I forget my lips get numb quickly. Can't be good. Probably why it is being removed from the market.

It's not being removed from the market. There was already a discussion of this, and Bayer themselves confirmed.

Back