Nems

Nola Bear

What's your opinion on mixing nems, in particular rock flowers and btas? I've read that nems will release toxins to kill another nem even across the tank if it feels its presence. One of the guys at creative has a 16gallon up for 8months with btas and rocks flowers and says that all is good. What's your stance?

If I had to choose one, it would be rock flowers. Less aggressive and less likely to nem soup your tank in a power head. Much more sedentary and the colors are incredible.

I'be read plenty that they will do fine together. I think it's always good to remember in the hobby that anything is possible. You may get a bta that stays in one spot for a long time or a rock flower that won't stop moving. I'd just go with the rock flower first since that seems to be your preference.

For the record, rock flowers are more aggressive than BTA's. But aside from that, they are generally more likely to stay put once they settle into a spot they like. Never kept them with BTA's, but I have had them with other host anemones with no issues.

I have 14 nems in my 75g. 2 rock flowers, 4 mini maxis and the rest a variety of BTAs. Added from 6 months ago to more than 18 months. Love them all! And they are getting along great together.
Condys, I found, are more challenging. Lost 2 so I'm waiting to see if I'll try another.
I'm happy with how my tank is now. Just my experience.
Michelle

I've got BTA with a mini carpet. They are fine together. For the record, if a BTA wanders near the mini, the BTA keeps on moving till its away from the mini. ;)

Back