Never trust bottled distilled water

Dr.Karl

Premium Member
I ran my usual seachem calcium test today I got a reading that was low (around 380). I immediatley commenced to correcting the "problem" by adding 1/2 quart calcium chloride solution. Then I started to think hmmm... how did my calcium get so low when my dkh has consistantly been 8 and my calcium reactor should add both in appropriate levels. So I ran another test using the reference solution from the test kit (390) and it came out 275! Oh no. I normally use bottled distilled water as the top off water for the test. Could it be the water? I reran the test again using RO/DI and guess what, the reference test came out perfect! Ran a test on the tank water using RO/DI... 660 Ouch! Moral of the story. Dont trust bottled distilled water. And of course dont be to quick to correct a problem UNTIL you think it through. If I would of waited for a while I know I would have said to myself "that test cant be right, cause my reactor adds calc and dkh equally."

Something I dont understand is, how would water make the test come out low? I could understand it how it could add calcium to a test, but how can it subtract it?

I've not used that test. The test required dilution, and the water you used for dilution had some sort of interference, you think? I've never heard of that happening. Perhaps it was testing error in some fashion.

i use the seachem calcium test kit also
and since i dont have an ro di i have been
using deer park bottled distilled water.
i also used the reference solution and it came
out to what the reference was...so i think the water
or at least the distilled water i have is fine. (at least
i hope it is :) )

Correct the test requires dilution. Yes I thought testing error also. Thats why I reran the test using the reference solution. I'm not ruling out that I made a testing error twice though. At any rate the bottle of distilled water is empty so I can't confirm that it was the water.

Back