New 210g Reef 2 Be tank

mdrobc1213

Hi. Okay new here but not totally new to the hobby as I got into SW tanks in 2008 with my 1st tank a 55g from PetSmart and then a 75g Aqueon from there. Wow times flies when you're having fun...anyway since I am an AD military guy I tend to use those frequent moves (we call them PCS=permanent changes of station) to upgrade my tanks..so this time when I got orders I broke down and sold my old 150g back to my LFS and upgraded to a 210g! Wanted to go 300g or more but no way it would fit in the basement of our rental house! :( Without a dedicated basement entryway...210g had to go down the stairs and that was about all we could do with the 210g.

Anyway this time I decided to go with a custom designed stand and forgo the LFS black wooden Aqueon 210 ones avail to me. Thanks to a search of RC and some additional research was able to get a design to Maytech.com and get an aluminium t-slot stand built to my specs and design parameters and delivered in 1 week after placing the order. Great job guys..every easy to work with and the free CAD software was essential in my stand design. Got stand up in about 2 nights after work and 1/4 sanded plywood stained with black Urethane from Home Depot finished it off nicely. Was able to cut a bottom and top board to the stand and added another for my controllers to be mounted also. Have additional spare wood for shelves for my dosers and other items. Overall plan is to frame it out with either finished plywood or maybe aluminum panels that will hang in the slots to cover the open panel areas. Great design though as it really gives me access into the stand and equipment which the LFS wooden ones never did. You just put items in there and it was hell to work or get on them before in previous ones.

So got things up and stand leveled. Sand and dry rock/prior live 3 mos ago into tank and situated. Used Aquamaxx ReefWelder which I found online and must say it puts epoxy and previous stuff I've used to shame. Prior to this used Reef Cement which was always a pain to mix correctly and often dried too quickly and you could never use wet/underwater or stick epoxy which didn't hold great and fell apart. This stuff is great! Used the mixed beads (purple and white) which one heated up with hot boiling water melt and become mold-able allowing you got make any seal/bond you want just like epoxy. Like that they can be reused by just putting back into hot water and waiting till the bonds break and it becomes mold-able again...happened a few times when I made mistakes in the aquascape or rocks didn't hold together right. Tank is now up/filled and spent pre-labor day weekend wiring all my Neptune controllers and testing the pumps/lines. Have 1-2 small union leaks which I am troubleshooting (help appreciated...what do you do when a brand new union leaks at the union?) since this is my 1st hard PVC plumbing job. However overall tank looks pretty good and other than the now strong desire to switch my lighting set up (have 3 AI Hydra 26s but really think a Ecotech Radion XR-30 Pro setup w/Reeflink would go a long way to tying in all my controllers at one place-one program)...jury out on that one.

Anyway still work to do always and fish to add. Initial water tests promising as I rapid cycled the tank using 1 Bottle of Seed, 1/2 bottle of BrightWell Aquatics Biofilter and now am adding Stability daily. Current readings are ph 8.0, Nitrate=20, Nitrite 0.2, NH3-0.0 temp 77.8, salinity=1.024-25. Initial fish are doing okay...some have been in QT since June while other new additions went straight to DT! However when adding fish for the 1st 3 mos at least I have a practice of dosing Metroplex every 2 days for the duration of new stocking to prevent illness. Worked well with my last start up after a serious Urenema and Velvet outbreak wiped out my tank in Sept 2016 and found that daily medicine during the initial stocking along with judicious QT of certain disease "prone" fishes worked. Not every fish made it but about 90% did fine and QT actually added to the stress of certain species. My QT are 20g and 10g tanks with no sand/filter sponges/thermometer. So fingers crossed...but by all means interested in comments and advice as you guys have some really nice tanks on here...tons of experience.

Cheers...Rob

Attachments

• IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1236.jpg
    IMG_1236.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1238.jpg
    IMG_1238.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1241.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1
Forgot to add rest of pics. Part II

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1256.jpg
    IMG_1256.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 2
Part III

Attachments

• IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1500.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1
Part IV

Attachments

• IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1505.JPG
    IMG_1505.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 0
Hi thanks for sharing your build. I am too looking to set up a 200gish tank and doing some research on stands. Can you tell me how much and how you work on the design of the stand. I went to May tech.com but their page is not loading. What i am looking for is how did you know what you need to build the stand. Thanks for your help.

Hi thanks for sharing your build. I am too looking to set up a 200gish tank and doing some research on stands. Can you tell me how much and how you work on the design of the stand. I went to May tech.com but their page is not loading. What i am looking for is how did you know what you need to build the stand. Thanks for your help.

Sorry...here you go had the site info wrong.

www.maytecinc.com

It took me about 2 weeks going back and forth with their design team to clarify my original concept and design created with their CAD program (downloaded from their site). They took my original design and strengthened some of the support pieces and upgraded a few to handle the calculated weight of the tank filled w/water and sand/rock, etc and then when we agreed upon the final design I placed the order. Took a week to fabricate and ship to me but quality and finish were excellent and I have no concerns. Stand is sturdy and light and better yet can be easily taken down if/when I move and has access to all of my equipment underneath even when I do put on removable panels which I will fabricate. Stand is easy to build using the CAD program in whatever format you like..just takes a bit of getting use to the software program first and a bit of trial and error. Cost...wasn't cheap..initial design was around $645 but after changes and upgrades to stronger T slot pieces and added bracing eventually cost $860. However I felt it was worth it for the quality of the stand and flexibility it offered vs the standard LFS wood stands which run about $300-400 usually with ones tank purchase.

Thank you for the info. I like the look of the stand and also the flexibility to undo it when I have to. I am thinking of a stand that's a bit longer then the tank so I have space on each side of the tank to work on when needed to. I saw this type of stand in Macna but could not get any info on it so this is really great that now I can start planning my stand build. Thank you again will be following your build.

Thank you for the info. I like the look of the stand and also the flexibility to undo it when I have to. I am thinking of a stand that's a bit longer then the tank so I have space on each side of the tank to work on when needed to. I saw this type of stand in Macna but could not get any info on it so this is really great that now I can start planning my stand build. Thank you again will be following your build.

Yes I saw a few articles and posts on them but other than going to the few builders on youtube or RC mentioned that would build one for you custom was hard to find out where/who/how to do one. Parts are easily available I found from amazon.com, e-bay, 1080i and quite a few places but I really did need the software to design the stand and expertise of what would work and what would not (maytech provided that) to keep me from flying blind really.

But yes they do allow the flexibility to move and even add to it if needed at any point and take up the same amount of space as a wooden or steel stand but without the weight and difficulty in movement (I had to take mine down a basement staircase which required me to remove the railing to get the tank down so a stand of that size would have been an additional pain). Good luck!

Back