New person diving into a new'ish hobby!

Jivatma

Hello reefers!

I've recently got the bug to start a saltwater tank, and by recently, its been going on almost 5 years now. I just haven't had too much time to really jump in, nor the finances to do my dream tank. But, I did manage a good deal for a marineland 38gal bowfront for $20. It had freshwater fish in it, but I want to put a small reef in it. That being said, I have a few questions to get started with.

First, I can't seem to find a stand made specifically for this tank, and I don't trust petsmart reviews on their 36gal bowfront topfin stand. So I think I'm going to try and build one! I'm no woodworking expert, but I know how to use a saw and drill. It can't be that hard, right? Also, all the diys and tutorials I've seen are for the more standard square/rectangle fish boxes, so my real question would be, how do I go about building a stand for a bowfront? My only real need in the stand is room for a sump, and hopefully the ability to remove the sump for cleaning or replacement/modifications.

Also I do not like the sight of things going over the tank lip and I don't wanna trust a siphon overflow. I know there are good ones out there, but I'd just rather not. So i'm wanting to drill the tank for a ghost overflow. I also imagine I'll have to drill for returns, so my next question would be: 1 or 2 return lines on a tank this size?

Overall thats where I'm at mentally. I do want a typical reef to start with, a few small fishies (clown, goby, shrimps, and any other pretty looking additions that are friendly enough) a decent cuc, and of course some coral, possibly an anemone. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to trace elements, dosing, reactors, etc. So im definitely just looking at something easy to start with. After I get some confidence, I do plan on upgrading.

So those are my plans! Any input, tips, tricks, pitfalls to avoid, or just totally random questions, please feel free to share!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Welcome to RC! Sounds like a decent plan. Rather than matching the bow front with your stand, you could just build it wide enough to accommodate the bow, and you'll have room for drinks on the corners.

The best advice I got when buying my first salt water tank was to buy a book. Nothing fancy, just something to get you started. Lots of good advice here too! Enjoy the journey!

Hello reefers!

Also I do not like the sight of things going over the tank lip and I don't wanna trust a siphon overflow. I know there are good ones out there, but I'd just rather not. So i'm wanting to drill the tank for a ghost overflow. I also imagine I'll have to drill for returns, so my next question would be: 1 or 2 return lines on a tank this size?

Still looking for input here! I know 38 gallon is on the smaller side, but a small sump is still okay to run, right? Would probably just have basic equipment: skimmer, heater, ATO, or anything else im missing

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

For a tank that size 1 return is fine. Your list of equipment is spot on, later on you may want to add an aquarium controller of some sort if you have room. Assuming you aren't going to start with a controller I suggest you use an Inkbird or similar heater controller rather than rely on the heater thermostat. The heater thermostat is the most likely component to fail in your tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Expect to spend about $1k the first year on equipment and then $2k on fish and such by the next year.

You can buy used on Craigslist and such as long as you INSPECT the stuff before you buy.

Garbage in, dead fish out.

Back