New QT Tank

FTReef

I'm setting up a permanent QT tank for new additions. I question the current purity of my DT so I'm thinking of cycling the new QT tank the old fashioned way.

Am I thinking about this in the right way to try and give any new additions a pure, stress free environment to acclimate, detox and build up immunity before they're introduced to the rest of the herd?

If I want to foster a new sterile environment, I assume I shouldn't use water and media from my established tank. Or am I being too careful given the fact that my QT will be fishless until I'm comfortable it's cycled and the first time I put a new fish in, who knows what's coming with it anyway. I also read about people medicating QTs so new additions also undergo pre-treatments for any baddies they might be carrying. If I were to medicate the tank, does that also suggest it doesn't matter that I use my DT materials for initial setup?

Sorry, a lot to unpack in this post...

I keep a permanent 20 gallon up and running, cycled. Has a filter and a small power head for flow/oxygen exchange.

It also now has a bit of live rock and some sand, but thats entirely optional.

Its currently housing a diamond goby. Normally I try to do the tank transfer method (5 gallon buckets) for each new fish, but the last two gobies I tried to TTM jumped the bucket.

So ill qt this guy for about 8 weeks and treat with prazi pro (2 doses), unless I see any other issues.
I personally don't pretreatment with copper (esp because I usually do TTM).

Other's mileage will vary. For me it's highly dependent on the fish, if I can TTM them safely, and then qt in the 20 gallon for a period of time, 4 weeks if TTM was used, 8 if not. Extend qt if you had to treat for anything noticeable.

I've only lost 2 gobies from bucket jumps, 1 yellow tang that wouldn't eat at all, and a few leopard wrasses that wouldn't eat either (but they're tough to qt).

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Back