New Reef Build - equipment list

J Crew

Hello all, I've been toying around with the idea of getting back into the hobby for some months now. Then I finally hopped back on to the forums, and started reading up on what is in vogue and what has changed over the 20 years I've been in the hobby. That journey took me to potentially buying a used reef, which I found, and then modifying that to suit my wants and needs. That then took me down a bunch of paths which then led me to the conclusion that I should just buy a new tank and buy exactly what I want instead of modifying someone else's used system. If budget was my main concern, then this would definitely be the route to take. But budget is not my 1st or even 2nd concern, so I've decided to purchase a new system and then buy what used equipment I can from other reefers on the forums.

Here's my basic list thus far:
  • Red Sea Reefer XL 525 G+ tank, stand, sump
  • BRS 7 stage pro RODI
  • Reefmat 500 fleece roller
  • Clear Water 50 Algae scrubber
  • Kessil a360x on mounting arms - 3 each
  • Octopus VarioS-8 return pump - 2 each for dual return pump redundancy setup
  • GHL Profilux 4 mega set + extra power supply (purchase lightly used) - for tank automation
    • I'll automate dosing, temp control, monitor ph & salinity, lighting schedule, control pump speed, and control pumps during feeding or maintenance. Maybe some other things I'm not thinking of off the top of my head as well.
  • Need input on a Skimmer still; maybe the RSK300?

I'm going to setup an ATO and Saltwater Mixing station in a separate room about 40 running feet away and will do automatic water changes and auto top off from that room. I'll use a simple setup to keep DI water in the tanks and then use the GHL to perform the ATO and AWC.

Any input on what I have thus far is welcome. I'm thinking about having the GHL KH Director as part of the system, but don't know yet. That automation between testing and dosing sounds appealing to me though.

Thanks again for looking my build list!

The RSK 300 skimmer looks like a good choice.

What kind of circulation are you planning?

Fleece roller, algae scrubber and skimmer. I hope you are planning to fully load this system with corals and or fish because that's a lot of export. Not a criticism, just be aware that there's been many who have chosen a similar lineup but don't provide the bioload and then struggle with algae scrubbers that don't grow, pale corals, and even worse dinoflagelettes taking over their tank. It's fine equipment, but my advice would be to leave the algae scrubber offline until the system is full of your desired organisms.

@kharmaguru don't take it as a criticism at all. That's why I'm on the forum, to hear from other Reefers and get good feedback. I think it's solid advice for sure and makes sense to hold off on running the scrubber until/if it's needed.

@Genetics I haven't decided which one yet. I'm open to some suggestions!

Updated list based on feedback from other Reefers:
  • BRS 7 stage pro RODI
  • Reefmat 1200 fleece roller
  • Octopus VarioS-8 return pump - 2 each for dual return pump redundancy setup (flow controlled thru GHL)
  • GHL Profilux 4 mega set + extra power supply (purchase lightly used) - for tank automation
    • I'll automate dosing, temp control, monitor ph & salinity, lighting schedule, control pump speed, and control pumps during feeding or maintenance. Maybe some other things I'm not thinking of off the top of my head as well.
  • RSK600 skimmer
  • Octo Pulse 4 Wave Pump (4500 GPH) with WaveEngine LE Controller + 2nd Wave Pump (thinking of using Hydros for the wave circulation)
Also, side thought:
Is there any of the sites that would give a discount on such a large purchase? I'm just wondering if a $7k, $8k, $9k purchase at once would get a discount from any of the online retailers. Any experience or thoughts around this? Thanks!

• BRS 7 stage pro RODI
  • Octopus VarioS-8 return pump - 2 each for dual return pump redundancy setup (flow controlled thru GHL)
  • RSK600 skimmer
  • Octo Pulse 4 Wave Pump (4500 GPH) with WaveEngine LE Controller + 2nd Wave Pump (thinking of using Hydros for the wave circulation)
Also, side thought:
Is there any of the sites that would give a discount on such a large purchase? I'm just wondering if a $7k, $8k, $9k purchase at once would get a discount from any of the online retailers. Any experience or thoughts around this? Thanks!

No experience with this but if you wait til closer to the holidays, Black Friday usually allows for discounts. That said, if your cozy with an LFS that orders RedSea, they may work with you to give you a discount

• BRS 7 stage pro RODI
  • RSK600 skimmer
Also, side thought:
Looks good, any updates?

@griss slowing buying right now. I've ordered the RS Reefer and trying to buy what I can used. So I'm on the forums a couple times a day searching. I plan on giving an update maybe in a couple of weeks after I'm able to compile what has arrived and what's left to still be ordered. But I'm committed for thousands as it stands, lol. So it's happening!

@griss slowing buying right now. I've ordered the RS Reefer and trying to buy what I can used. So I'm on the forums a couple times a day searching. I plan on giving an update maybe in a couple of weeks after I'm able to compile what has arrived and what's left to still be ordered. But I'm committed for thousands as it stands, lol. So it's happening!
Awesome. I love new builds and am definitely going to enjoy following this one.

Back