New stand and sump ideas

ReefMaster48

Hey Y'all!

I am thinking of rebuilding the stand for my 40 breeder. Right now it is on the bottom half of a hutch that we bought at a consignment place. Works well, fits a 20L sump well, and I just recently organized my power cords so it is all nice and neat.

However, it was not built for a fish tank. So although it holds the weight no problem, it could be stronger and larger for my liking. And, I have a spare 20L which could be used as a second sump, but there is not enough room in this tank. Also, I prefer a higher tank; not quite having the bottom at eye level, but something like 4 ft would be awesome.

Two thoughts:

First, if I make it that high (which I would do If I go through the trouble of making one), then it will need to be rather wide, as with 22-24 inches, it would rock fairly easily. This brings me to the next thought, which is the sump. I like the 20L, and I could likely do either two 20L stacked, OR, I could do another 40 breeder.

I would really like to have a tank dedicated to a fuge, which is why I would like to stack the 20L, but I guess I could always have a 20 L (or smaller even) over top of the 40B.

What are your thoughts? Anyone use a 40B as a sump? Any advantages over a 20L?

I wouldnt worry about rocking. Once its full the weight will prevent it from easily tipping. Ive got my 90g on a 35ish inch stand I built. I do enjoy the DT being closer to eye level than the standard options available.

I wouldnt worry about rocking. Once its full the weight will prevent it from easily tipping. Ive got my 90g on a 35ish inch stand I built. I do enjoy the DT being closer to eye level than the standard options available.

I guess thats true, and if I have 20-40 gallons in the bottom, I doubt it will even budge. Is that your 90 in your avatar pic? Looks really good! Definitely like the height compared to lower tanks

I guess thats true, and if I have 20-40 gallons in the bottom, I doubt it will even budge. Is that your 90 in your avatar pic? Looks really good! Definitely like the height compared to lower tanks

Yes it is. I have a build thread in the DIY section as well if you need stand design plans.

36" stand is perfect for a 24" tall tank IMO. I need a small step ladder to reach the bottom so any taller would juat be that much more difficult.

Mine is 12" tall not 24".

4TTzuQuX_o.jpg

So after some thinking, I might change my plans up a little.

Eventually, I would like to get a custom tank thats 125+ and at least 6 ft long.

Also, in the short term, I inherited a TV; which I have sitting on the floor until I find a new TV stand/cabinet for it.

So what If I make a stand that is about 24-30 inches wide and a about 7 feet long. The 40B could go on the left side (just works better for the room), and the TV could go on the right, and I could have 2 20L tanks (really up to 4 If I felt the need for some reason) underneath (connected via a few water bridges) and a ATO reservoir that gravity feeds the sump.

Then if (hopefully when!) I get a bigger tank, then the stand can become solely a reef tank stand, and I could even get 2 40B sumps in there if I did it right.

Nothing wrong with that ^

Yup!

I think that will be the best avenue. Its gonna take me a little while to build everything, but now I gotta start planning how I'll do the transfer. yay...

First thing would be shutting down and setting up the sump, then draining the main. I'll likely have to leave a small amount of water for the fish and corals, then fill it back up.

Part that will be a pain is that I have to move the old stand, as the new one will take up part of that space. Prolly going to have to bribe some guns with pizzia for the move! :lolspin:

Back