New to RC & SW!!

boibaker85

I am 30 years old and have had FW aquariums for about 20 years on and off. Been around FW my whole life as my Grandmother used to have at least 15 tanks in her house when I was little, and believe me, I spent a lot of time at her house helping care for the tanks. She never had a SW tank since I was born though. She did used to have a 90g and 240g SW tank back in the mid 70's, with octopus and seahorses and other cool fish as well. So, I guess I get my OBSESSION with fish and aquatic life from my Grandma. Okay enough about her.

I currently have 2- 75g and 1- 55g FW tanks that are kept immaculate. I recently purchased a 150g (6'x18"x25") tank from a local reefer and I am now diving into the SW world. I have been stalking, er, I mean researching, a lot of the posts here on RC for the last 2 months in preparation for my adventure into SW. I can't wait until I can put up a build thread and let everyone see my tank.

I am bouncing back and forth about whether or not to go with an aggressive or community tank. It will certainly be FOWLR with no intentions of coral for quite a while. What are your thoughts in regards to which might be easiest to care for for a beginner SW keeper?

Aggressive wish list would be:
Humu Trigger, Porc. Puffer, Snowflake Eel, Blue Tang, Queen Angel, Banana Wrasse, Hardwicke Wrasse, Flame Angel

Community wish list would be:
3 pairs of Ocellaris Clowns, 4- Yellow Tangs, 2- Blue Tangs, Flame Angel, Foxface

Now, like I said these are more of a wishlist than a stock list for now. Still have awhile before that time gets here. Still researching, of course!!

I have always loved aggressive tanks. Fish are fun and have strong personalities. The drawback i have found is that if you ever want to get into corals, making the switch is harder. Puffers and angels nip corals. Eels and predator fish require a fair amount of food and therefore a large bioload to the tank. With community, you can at least select fish that would be reef compatible and later if you choose to go to reef you wont have to change fish.

Back