New to the hobby does anyone still use this Club?

ferchb

Three weeks in on an established 50 gallon tank purchased on Craigslist. Didn't see any recent posts so I wasn't sure if this board is still active. Looking to learn as much as possible so if there's a club in Monterey County I'm interested. If there's a better place to be meeting other hobbyists in the area.

At one point I remember this section being active I even got some pretty cool coral from the guys here. I'm not too sure what happend to everyone or if they moved to a different forum.

Everyone is still around just not as active anymore. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or want to come check out my tank. I'm always down to talk reef.

I too will be the new guy on the block, starting up a 120 display peninsula although I'm stumped on finding coral around here. Aqua quest seems to be gone and Oceans Above has limited selection. Does anyone frag swap or sell in the area?

I've gotten a few pieces from Browns Eco Aquarium in Capitola. The prices were decent and its the closest shop with corals I've found without going to San Jose. I know when I talked to the owner in Capitola he said he wanted to hold a swap.

You are in the Monterey County forum.

Very inactive.

Good reef clubs can exist even if you jus have a few members. Look at Wine Country Reefers. Awesome club, few members.

It's work though.

My advice if you wanna get this club going is to hold a frag swap at the shop in capitola....but make it a good one.

You need good advertisement. Good reason for people to show up (not just swapping frags). Plan it out.

Half-assed frag swap = deters people away. Trust me I know.

The Bay Area will be having a BIG frag swap in September. Y'all should come and meet your fellow Monterey-ians. I'm expecting attendance from throughout california (Redding, Sacramento, Stockton, Sonoma, Concord and more.

We are also going to have a big frag swap in Sacramento, November 7th. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2525189

All my family still lives in the Salinas area I know Vu at Oceans Above in Salinas is trying to get some bigger frag tanks set up. I know he just bought a Gryphon frag saw and plans to make a lot of frags. He has also expressed interest in having a swap at his place or somewhere else in Salinas.

VU has been saying that for a couple of years. I offered to sell him my 90 gallon frag tank for a fair price, he never called back. Last time I stopped by there were no frag tanks.

Well I can promise you has some frag now. Still now frag tank by my standards but he is working on it. Probably has about fifty frags on racks in two 55 Gallon Tanks.
VU has been saying that for a couple of years. I offered to sell him my 90 gallon frag tank for a fair price, he never called back. Last time I stopped by there were no frag tanks.

Is he still overpriced?

Ill send you a PM as well. But no in regards to fish and coral frag especially I dont not think he is overpriced at all for the Salinas area. Especially not to make you drive to get a better deal. It would cost you more for sure to drive somewhere else.

That might be true if I only bought one frag. It's no secret he does have some nice coral frags once in a while, but they aren't for sale or he give a crazy price. Same thing with fish, all the nice fish go into the shop display tank and are not for sale. Just being honest, not hating.

Back