Newb

@reefing102 Wow! I appreciate it, that’s a lot to take in ! Looking through stuff now… I am used to fresh water tanks a protein skimmer is a replacement for a traditional filter correct?
In a marine/reef tank, the biological filtration is done by bacteria growing in the live rock and sand. The skimmer is additional to remove proteins. Depending who you talk to, a skimmer is either vital/mandatory or not needed at all😉

There is no single “right” way to be successful in this hobby. It’s a lot of experimenting and figuring out what works for you. Example, I’ve been in the SW hobby for over 30 years. Never had a Cyanobacteria issue in any of my tanks. The current tank I’m just getting over battling Cyano for about a year.

Last edited:
Interesting! I guess that answered my question about rocks, as I read online there are live and there are bass rocks wasn’t sure what the recommendation was.

Live versus base rock really depends on what you want and your budget.

In my current tank, I used a (well for lack of a better word) a base of dry base rock and then topped it off with live rock from KP Aquatics.

Real, aquacultured rock from KP, Tampa Bay Saltwater, Gulf Live Rock and Salty Bottom all should have a decent amount to macroalgae, corals, sponges, as well as some snails, crabs, etc.

My KP rock had tons of stony corals, a pencil urchin and a pistol shrimp.

Live versus base rock really depends on what you want and your budget.

In my current tank, I used a (well for lack of a better word) a base of dry base rock and then topped it off with live rock from KP Aquatics.

Real, aquacultured rock from KP, Tampa Bay Saltwater, Gulf Live Rock and Salty Bottom all should have a decent amount to macroalgae, corals, sponges, as well as some snails, crabs, etc.

My KP rock had tons of stony corals, a pencil urchin and a pistol shrimp.
that's sweet.... live stuff does become expensive but totally worth it in the end.

Anyone here able to point me in the right direction for a heater? I'm assuming that traditional pet store heaters wont cut it here since the salt water will corrode that plastic ....

In a marine/reef tank, the biological filtration is done by bacteria growing in the live rock and sand. The skimmer is additional to remove proteins. Depending who you talk to, a skimmer is either vital/mandatory or not needed at all😉

There is no single “right” way to be successful in this hobby. It’s a lot of experimenting and figuring out what works for you. Example, I’ve been in the SW hobby for over 30 years. Never had a Cyanobacteria issue in any of my tanks. The current tank I’m just getting over battling Cyano for about a year.

If you keep corals with 1 or 2 animals you don't need a skimmer. There quite often is a best method to keep a particular type of animal but there are many types of animals we can keep from the sea.The is no right way because we all keep different things. I would not dream of keeping eels and other large fish without a skimmer.

You do not need filtration as referred to in freshwater tanks in saltwater. Many people do it anyway. Mostly it is a maintenance nuisance.

So if you do a metal heater, just make sure it’s titanium. But really any aquarium heater should do, plastic, glass, titanium, etc. I’d just ensure its one that you can adjust the temp on. Walmart ones tend to be preset and unable to be adjusted.

Weird question, I have ordered a bunch of the boxed ocean water and I’m trying to clear up space since 30 gallons of it takes up space in my hallway…. Would I be able to put my rock, water, and substrate in with my protein skimmer without a light and heater? Like I’m basically setting up a tank without a light and heater. Is this all good to go and sit for like a little while until I get the rest of the stuff or should I refrain from doing this

Would I be able to put my rock, water, and substrate in with my protein skimmer without a light and heater? Like I’m basically setting up a tank without a light and heater. Is this all good to go and sit for like a little while until I get the rest of the stuff or should I refrain from doing this
It will be fine and your cycle can get started assuming it's not a 60F basement.

Back